Sign in to follow this  
Violin Varnish Italy

Instrument varnished with my product

29 minutes ago, Jeff Jetson said:

If I ever make an instrument this would be the color I would like it to be. ^

Come on, take the plunge. Really, it’s not addictive, you can quit anytime you want. ;)

9 hours ago, Vernici Liuteria said:

what do you want ?

Nothing for me, thank you.  I very much enjoy making my own varnish. I do enjoy reading your thread.

1 minute ago, Vernici Liuteria said:

ok, make your varnish , and do not make stupid comments

My apologies, my comment was to another member and said in fun and encouragement.

-Jim

Jim Bress thank you for the encouragement as  you are correct and as I should jump in and start one as I have wood and most tools except for a finger plane, peg fitting tools and a fancy caliper with a dial guage. I think what holds me back is the thought of a mediocre or worse violin after so much time put in.  

I do enjoy reading Mr. Liuteria's varnish thread and looking at pictures of finishes instruments with this varnish. It is amazing to see the wood come to life after the various coats of sealers and varnish applications. 

6 hours ago, Jeff Jetson said:

I think what holds me back is the thought of a mediocre or worse violin after so much time put in.  

You shouldn't let that hold you back. It's all about learning and the journey.

18 hours ago, Jeff Jetson said:

Jim Bress thank you for the encouragement as  you are correct and as I should jump in and start one as I have wood and most tools except for a finger plane, peg fitting tools and a fancy caliper with a dial guage. I think what holds me back is the thought of a mediocre or worse violin after so much time put in.  

I do enjoy reading Mr. Liuteria's varnish thread and looking at pictures of finishes instruments with this varnish. It is amazing to see the wood come to life after the various coats of sealers and varnish applications. 

My colored varnish is most trasparent because they are precipitate rosin.
Rosin melt in a solution of water and potash, which is then precipitated with a metallic salt (in this case sulphate of zinc), if i add to water extract of madder or any other plant extract, the rosinate become coloured. Unlike colors fixed directly on metal salts, these varnish are totally transparent

1 hour ago, Nick Allen said:

Dat candy coat. 

Look past the shiny finish. All the varnishes I have used dry to a shiny finish unless you add a matting agent. Nunzios varnish is very, very transparent with tons of color. That is worth noting...The guy obviously knows what he is doing and it's nice to see another varnish maker making his products available to us in the USA.  No small feat and I think he deserves a big Thank you!!

12 minutes ago, lpr5184 said:

Look past the shiny finish. All the varnishes I have used dry to a shiny finish unless you add a matting agent. Nunzios varnish is very, very transparent with tons of color. That is worth noting...The guy obviously knows what he is doing and it's nice to see another varnish maker making his products available to us in the USA.  No small feat and I think he deserves a big Thank you!!

Yes, his varnish is the BEST. I used it on my last two violins you can easily sheen the high gloss .

7 hours ago, lpr5184 said:

It is very shiny, and the color is fantastic. I find it cool how it really makes the wood look 3D. 

My wife would prefer I don't make my own varnish - she's afraid I'll burn my face off. So I'm glad folks like Joe and Nunzio make the good stuff. 

@Nick Allen I'm very much not into the "new Lamborghini" look either, but that's of course not the varnish, rather the varnisher. 

On 3/31/2018 at 3:44 PM, Vernici Liuteria said:

Lavoro di : Andrea Verdiglione Liutaio
Ground : Zinc-rosinate oil varnish 
Final varnish : copal oil varnish ( madagascar copal)
Polish : tripoli wax polish

29745735_10204520369566835_1523170379_n.jpg

29751034_10204520369246827_570194806_n.jpg

This looks amazing, my violin is the same colour. Now I am wondering how I can achieve the same results myself.