Vernici Liuteria

Instrument varnished with my product

Recommended Posts

Hi Ernest ! I'm glad it's all intact ! 
The transparency for one who makes varnish  is the first thing, first because the varnish should be transparent, the second thing ... a transparent varnish  means a varnish  well done.
About the red paint, even being red I use it to turn orange, the method is inspired by that of michelman, with many variations. The most important is to concentrate the higher content of alizarin, removing other substances in the infusion of water and madder root . 

thank you ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Vernici Liuteria said:

Matteo Rufini Instrument . 
Varnish with my product . 
Zinc Rosinate oil varnish as ground 
Iron rosinate oil varnish for color layer 
Amber oil varnish

19996_444862479007908_7387712675603148423_n.jpg

Awesome color! Vernici, what do you recommend to thin your varnishes with? I could not find what you thin with your PDF book above . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, carl1961 said:

Awesome color! Vernici, what do you recommend to thin your varnishes with? I could not find what you thin with your PDF book above . 

Turpentine spirit Carl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Vernici Liuteria said:

Turpentine spirit Carl

Thanks Vernici, won't be long before I use your varnish!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Vernici Liuteria said:

Zinc-rosinate oil varnish ( ground for wood) 

P1050755.JPG

P1050284.JPG

Wonderful pictures, thanks Vernici for keeping us informed and with these nice pictures

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"FINALLY! 
After almost 6 mounths of hard work, a summer totally sacrified, painful of mine and people who followed me during making, the viola is finished! 
Oil varnish byVernici Liuteria " 

22519307_1788981907801133_2350257318469521809_n.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Viola by Ornella Ceci 
ground varnish : zinc-rosinate oil varnish
color layer : zinc madder rosinate o.v. and iron rosinate o.v. 
Final layer : amber oil o.v. 
Polish : wax tripoli polish 

22814134_1798245443541446_4266120635300853410_n.jpg

22788833_1798244913541499_3640506686135781781_n.jpg

22780530_1798245316874792_2924588481294189153_n.jpg

22780577_1798245383541452_1128815101820276019_n.jpg

22780479_1798245043541486_2300852700017645379_n.jpg

22815390_1798245226874801_7218551857486922531_n.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice! I much prefer this, on new instruments, to artificial antiquing. I've earned all of "my antiquing" each scar and bump has a story and a memory, prefer that my instruments have the same opportunities.

That said, I do understand and appreciate the skill of some makers who are making bench copies of old instruments....... when the antiquing is done well.

I have yet to start my first violin build..... but at least I don't have to concern myself with where to get the varnish..... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/10/2017 at 7:08 PM, Michael Jennings said:

Very nice! I much prefer this, on new instruments, to artificial antiquing. I've earned all of "my antiquing" each scar and bump has a story and a memory, prefer that my instruments have the same opportunities.

That said, I do understand and appreciate the skill of some makers who are making bench copies of old instruments....... when the antiquing is done well.

I have yet to start my first violin build..... but at least I don't have to concern myself with where to get the varnish..... 

I have your own idea

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice Lovely Varnish on the viola Vernici, I just noticed the f notches only on inside.

I have the ground varnish, zinc-rosinate oil varnish on the violin #2  slowly learning the things far from perfect but learning what not to do or what to improve on as each violin comes along. the purfling is my hardest task. Your varnish is Excellent, very happy and satisfied my easiest job. 

 

 Cicchetto Marchese model violin

20171111_114521_r.jpg

20171111_114727_r.jpg

First test.mp3

IMG_20171106_034629.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, carl1961 said:

Nice Lovely Varnish on the viola Vernici, I just noticed the f notches only on inside.

I have the ground varnish, zinc-rosinate oil varnish on the violin #2  slowly learning the things far from perfect but learning what not to do or what to improve on as each violin comes along. the purfling is my hardest task. Your varnish is Excellent, very happy and satisfied my easiest job. 

 

 Cicchetto Marchese model violin

20171111_114521_r.jpg

20171111_114727_r.jpg

First test.mp3

IMG_20171106_034629.jpg

It's looking good, Carl!  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, FoxMitchell said:

It's looking good, Carl!  :)

Thanks FoxMitchell, I still have a ways to go to reach a decent looking violin, but each violin seems easier. Mr. Marc with the Cicchetto Marchese model violin (awesome nice fun Guy)

has help me a lot, at 82 years old and making a viola, Wow I hope I can do this at 82 LOL. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11. lokakuuta 2017 at 11:14 PM, Vernici Liuteria said:

Matteo Rufini Instrument . 
Varnish with my product . 
Zinc Rosinate oil varnish as ground 
Iron rosinate oil varnish for color layer 
Amber oil varnish

19996_444862479007908_7387712675603148423_n.jpg

This is very beutiful and confirms my findings after last summers endless testing, it is extremely difficult to match this with something else than varnish as ground. I varnished an electric guitar lika that and it's stunning. However when looking at various old Cremonese violins they don't look like that. The varnish is not soaked into the wood on them.

Thank you for posting images on your bench

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.