Vernici Liuteria

Instrument varnished with my product

30 minutes ago, Vernici Liuteria said:

Hi Julian , the sealer is the ground in this case ,I never agreed with the use of a base that blocked the penetration of oil paint, on this I agree with Michelman's ideas

Thank you, VL.  I am away from my copy of Michelman so could not check there before troubling you for a reply.  I appreciate your quick response.

I know the Michelman view on penetration remains a topic of some controversy so I look forward to having the time to mine the MN archives for past discussions and look forward to further ones in the context of your post.  As with most things in our trade, there are degrees of X -- X in this case being penetration -- and an acceptable answer often can be found between the extremes of total and none.  (Though there are some issues that ARE "either or" with no options in between.  I'll just say that's true in life and let others offer examples in our trade. ;)

sospiri   
40 minutes ago, Vernici Liuteria said:

Hi Julian , the sealer is the ground in this case ,I never agreed with the use of a base that blocked the penetration of oil paint, on this I agree with Michelman's ideas

Hallelujah amen.

MikeC   

Christian did you add any lakes or pigment to give it color or is the color just from the varnish ?

carl1961   

Awsome !!  lpr5184, how may coats to get that dark? I did 3 coats on my violin but still looks yellowish

lpr5184   

Nunzio

My recent order arrived today in good shape. It traveled a long way from Italy to Washington State, USA. The plastic containers had no leaks whatsoever which I find amazing.  I opened each one and all smell fantastic. The red and brown varnish look wonderfully transparent. The amber looks and smells exactly like the last batch I bought from you. I am really exited to see the copal varnish. It has a different smell and much thinner which I think will work really great as a ground sealer.

So all in all everything looks great. The varnish traveled a long way with a lot of jostling along the way.

Thank you very much!!

E