Vernici Liuteria

Instrument varnished with my product

2 hours ago, MikeC said:

Vernici,   in that picture, you have one that is labeled Red Rosin.   What is Red Rosin?     And also in the pictures of instruments it looks like the varnish has more color.  Do they have lake pigments added in those instruments?  

Hi Mike  , the red rosin is a madder/zinc rosinate ( Which I have improved, and that I constantly try to improve with interesting solutions ) .
The instruments you see use my varnish ( The instrument  are varnished by luthier who buy my varnish) , sometimes used lack (I'm against the use of lack because they are not completely transparent) to yellow the wood always recommend sun exposure . 

Starting today experimentation with Vernici Liuteria. Amber and Copal, both are easy to brush and self leveling quite OK. Amber have more body (I prefer), colour is perfect for me, I can make different colors. Here, I try with different ground and pigments concentration.

IMG_2999.JPG

6 minutes ago, christian bayon said:

Starting today experimentation with Vernici Liuteria. Amber and Copal, both are easy to brush and self leveling quite OK. Amber have more body (I prefer), colour is perfect for me, I can make different colors. Here, I try with different ground and pigments concentration.

IMG_2999.JPG

Wow , Thanks for pics Christian :-)

On 01/05/2017 at 3:52 PM, MikeC said:

Vernici,  what is the yellow ground under the red colored varnish in these pictures.  Is that your varnish used as a ground or is it something else? 

ground.png

I hope it´s not, it´s a bit too green!

On 9/5/2017 at 7:05 PM, christian bayon said:

I hope it´s not, it´s a bit too green!

This is a instrument by Rufini , Red are Lack , ground is a rosin zinc and iron rosin , and coloured layer is a iron rosin and amber varnish as final layer 

On 5/8/2017 at 8:33 PM, lpr5184 said:

Would it be possible for you to send me in a PM your source for the Madagascar copal? I would like to try making my own. Don't worry I am retiring in a couple of years and have no desire to make and sell varnish. I do enjoy making varnish for my own use and I have not yet tried making varnish from fossil resins. Thanks. The amber varnish has not been delivered yet. Still patiently waiting ...: )

Madagascar copal is sold by Wood Finishing Enterprises.

Very interesting effects give your solutions. I just finished painting my violin no. 15 - oil varnish and for the first time I experimented with iron pigments from Kremer.DSC06036-001.JPG.228b824da6b829f1c7ab74ff575c5f7b.JPGDSC06067.JPG.9d4caccff7581aad0f40fd2e56fd8083.JPGDSC06040.JPG.4d7d336f7409fcd93eeebe6499a9ced5.JPGDSC06071.JPG.e346f7206fb4292502da0493e4a12080.JPG

I also used pigments, now I do not use them anymore.
Do not use them because they take away a lot of transparency.
Now I produce colored rosinate varnish.
I perfected the michelman method and found the way to raise alizarine content in madder varnish

P1070699.JPG

Thanks for posting that lpr,  I was wondering what it looks like on wood.         What is the oil to resin ratio ?  

10 minutes ago, MikeC said:

Thanks for posting that lpr,  I was wondering what it looks like on wood.         What is the oil to resin ratio ?  

Hi mike , 1:1

10 minutes ago, Julian Cossmann Cooke said:

Vernicia, you write of using one of your varnishes as a ground.  Is this preceded by a sealer?

Hi Julian , the sealer is the ground in this case ,I never agreed with the use of a base that blocked the penetration of oil paint, on this I agree with Michelman's ideas