Sign in to follow this  
Pietro.Moltani

Stradivari cello scroll

Hey everybody.

I'm actually working on a cello based on Stradivari Forma B, the one that's supposed to be used to build the Gore Booth. 

I designed my scroll starting from the picture of the gore booth scroll shown on Sacconi book. 

Well, I've just finished to carve the second round and I'm about to connect the volute to the turn and I'm wondering about the width of that area, right after the throat. 

I've checked some measures about that point on violin and I've found out that it's around 26mm on Stradivari scrolls, but I found out nothing about cello scrolls. 

Don't want to make a copy, but I'd like to know if someone has any informations to get an impression of the development of the frontal line under the throat. It seems pretty impossible to get a picture of that area. 

I've attached a picture (hope the size will work well) to make you understand better which point I'm talking about. Such a pity that the scale of the scroll is not 1:1

Thank you all and have a nice Weekend :) 

Pietro. 

image.jpeg

Your photo is of the back of the scroll.  According to the Jost Thoene- Jan Roehrmann books, that measurement is 3,05 cm, the same spot on the front it is roughly the same, bearing in mind that measurements in any of these sources depend, in the case of scrolls certainly, on how adeptly the calipers or rules are used.  In this case, I used a square to line the front spot in question up with the back and they both come out to the same width,  I am not questioning this particular result, just offering a general caveat.  In addition, those here with broader familiarity can speak to whether that equivalence is characteristic of the B forma.

15 hours ago, Julian Cossmann Cooke said:

Your photo is of the back of the scroll.  According to the Jost Thoene- Jan Roehrmann books, that measurement is 3,05 cm.

Sorry, my fault but I bet we're talking about two different spot. I was searching for some measurements about the width between A and its corresponding on the other side of the scroll. 

I'm sure there has been a misunderstanding because the minimum width of the first round (between B and its corresponding) is around 40mm and, being the point of minimum width, it's usually narrower than the point I was talking about... So, I t can't be 30.5mm. 1492936492577-793943254.thumb.jpg.58cca911984715e26cbdb3a3ed637aaa.jpg

23 hours ago, Evan Smith said:

Julian,,

I'm glad that you caught that!

Sometimes I worry about you.

Well, Evan, now that I know our mutual friend has had you trolling me in private messages, we need to join forces and repay him!  Anyway, worrying don't do nobody no good no how.  Which is why I long ago gave up worrying about my grammar.  :lol:

On 23/4/2017 at 10:37 AM, Pietro.Moltani said:

Sorry, my fault but I bet we're talking about two different spot. I was searching for some measurements about the width between A and its corresponding on the other side of the scroll. 

I'm sure there has been a misunderstanding because the minimum width of the first round (between B and its corresponding) is around 40mm and, being the point of minimum width, it's usually narrower than the point I was talking about... So, I t can't be 30.5mm. 

The narrowest point at the end of the pegbox where the throat ends is: 23.6mm  The point opposite, on the back of the pegbox, is slightly wider: 29mm

If you mean that point A is on the chamfer of the volute directly above the throat, then it is: 42mm

The continuation of the spiral on the chamfer at point B is: 39.4mm (slightly less than point A)

Hopefully I have understood your questions.

Bruce

Hi Pietro, Hi everybody,

I am also interested in the scroll of the Stradivari Gore Booth cello scroll from the book of Sacconi at p. 127, I see that you posted a nice photo of the scroll  back that I never found on the web, could you  post the whole picture front and back ? and possibly give me some measure ?  I know that maybe I am asking  too much. Thanks in advance.

P.S.
Time ego Addie posted an image on the development of this scroll but I could not interpret it , the distance between the first circle (chin)and  the second circle is missing, and the two central circles which should represent the narrowest part of the volute have the same size. if A represents the last circle, the throat width is missing. Thanks for your help

On 4/24/2017 at 12:23 PM, Pietro.Moltani said:

Yep, you fully understood my question! 

I'm sorry if I haven't been that clear before. Gonna try to get better :)

Thanks Bruce! 

Hi Pietro
I'm not very familiar with the MN forum, I wrote you a message
At the bottom of the page, but maybe I wrote it in the wrong place. did you read it? Thanks

4 hours ago, Joseph bebrux said:

Hi Pietro
I'm not very familiar with the MN forum, I wrote you a message
At the bottom of the page, but maybe I wrote it in the wrong place. did you read it? Thanks

Pietro may not be here anymore or checking in.

Try sending him a PM. That should at least result in sending him an email - which he should get provided his email address is current.