Sign in to follow this  
ViolaGeo

Stradivarius viola

Here is a Spanish violist, one generation younger than Tamestit, playing on a Enrico Catenar instrument from roughly the same era as Tamestit's Strad, and frankly it sounds much better for a fraction of the money. 

People should really lose this obsession with the Strad brand.

Tabea Zimmermann, arguably the premier recording alto player of the turn of the century, plays on a 1980 Etienne Vatelot.

The Strad is "The Gustav Mahler" our own Manfio has examined it up close (lucky guy!) The Spanish young lady did play well and the Brahms is a great piece to show off a viola's sound.  I wish we had been able to hear the Strad.  The tailpiece is a a French Bois D'Harmonie one.  I don't think it is a reflection on the function of the pegs, but rather a choice of the player.  I would like to try one sometime but they are a bit pricey to try on a whim. They make pretty crazy carved pegs too.

DLB

Antoine Tamestit is not someone I have listened to a lot.  My mistake. He is a wonderful player.

DLB

As to his sound as opposed to anyone else I will leave that to you.

Better to hear the actual instrument than him talking about it.

Sounds just fine to me. Instrument also seem in a fine state of preservation. 

Antoine is such a nice guy and viola test driver. It was nice having the Mahler Strad viola in my hands, there are very few Strad violas.

As I took the Mahler in my hands I immediately remembered of the Hill's book, the head is very big when compared to the viola's soundbos.

Antoine produces a beautiful sound on it, quite a fine player.