Sign in to follow this  
Dwight Brown

This looks pretty tasty

https://tarisio.com/auctions/auction/lot/?csid=2198552576&cpid=3373858816&filter_key=c272e26083a8d887c893352dc89ef251

Lots of nice things at the Tarisio auction this time.  This viola looks pretty nice and it is a good size. Several $$$$ violins.  They put this down   to School of Lupot.  I saw a Lupot viola at VSA in 2015.  If anyone gets to see or play this one let us know what it is like.  I have a feeling that a real Lupot viola would be $200,000 or more (maybe a lot more)

DLB

41 minutes ago, ViolaGeo said:

I have played a couple of her instruments and I knew some makers that used to study with her.  I would say that they go for rather a bargain.  Some of them play very well.  If you can try it you would be better off, even if there is someone in New York you trust that can play it for you.

DLB

ViolaGeo

Mr. Schotten's viola is indeed made by Linarol who made the instrument that mine is copied from.  His has not been cut down as much or perhaps at all.  I have seen it up close when I was in college.  I played for him when there was a search at Ithaca College to replace my teacher there.  I wish they had hired Mr. Schotten, we all did, but I really have no idea what went into the process, I was only a freshman.  I think I was the "what not to do" example :-)  He is married to a very lovely woman who taught piano at Interlochen when I was there in high school.

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~yzhch/mm/stationery/images/viola/

These are some more pictures of the same instrument.  Thank you so much for the video, I will watch it very carefully.

DLB