Sign in to follow this  
Artguy

Violin Makers estate

I have a large pile of old wood , antique forms and violin making materials , violin and viola IMG_9735.thumb.JPG.990652dfc5f2717bba00a028f970591f.JPGIMG_9736.thumb.JPG.25d54635c83976b9b2b1781d765f5887.JPG patterns from the estate of a violin maker from Crimea .

i have attached photos of the contents of the boxes laid out on my studio floor. 

I know very little about these objects , except that they are quite old and quite beautiful. 

Can anyone enlighten me ?

thank you . 

IMG_9738.PNG

Edited by Artguy
Additional photo of wood

If you're looking to sell, I'd have Jeffery move this to the Luthier's exchange. Other than that, it all looks like hodgepodge. I imagine that all of it is worth pretty much objective material value, like the forms and cauls. The wood on the other hand may be worth something, depending on its age and species. 

That's my 2¢.

5 hours ago, Berl Mendenhall said:

Stuff like gouges and finger planes.

That stuff really holds it's value over time, maybe even appreciates. You might be able to sell some of the other stuff on Etsy or something. Hipsters live for that kind of "rustic" stuff lol.

Old form make for nice shop wall décor.  Kind of like old bow saws and wagon wheels in barns converted to guest houses.  I know that sounds like sarcasm and the regulars here would be forgiven for reading it as such, given my tendencies.  But I AM serious.  I even use it in the occasional tour of my shop that I give teachers and their students.  The many road lead to Rome segment of the tour.  Otherwise, the advice you've received here is right on.

PS As far as the maple goes, I would buy that would sight unseen if it had interesting provenance and I trusted the source.  Example: I bought some Sacconi wood in an auction of stuff from the old Moennig shop in Philly.  Probably won't use it, but I trot it out when I see my colleagues are feeling parched.

19 minutes ago, Julian Cossmann Cooke said:

Old form make for nice shop wall décor.  Kind of like old bow saws and wagon wheels in barns converted to guest houses.  I know that sounds like sarcasm and the regulars here would be forgiven for reading it as such, given my tendencies.  But I AM serious.  I even use it in the occasional tour of my shop that I give teachers and their students.  The many road lead to Rome segment of the tour.  Otherwise, the advice you've received here is right on.

PS As far as the maple goes, I would buy that would sight unseen if it had interesting provenance and I trusted the source.  Example: I bought some Sacconi wood in an auction of stuff from the old Moennig shop in Philly.  Probably won't use it, but I trot it out when I see my colleagues are feeling parched.

Your Sacconi wood and my Morel wood should meet and make an instrument. 

Or a Frankenfiddle.  At least that portion to which I apply my skills.  :P 

OR...let's get genetic samples from each, graft onto saplings, wait for a 200 years, harvest the tree, dry the wood, and see what kind of fiddle we can build.  Hmmm.  Guess that would be our progeny's progeny and I don't think I am going to have any in the trade.  Unless it skips several generations.  And we'd have to hide the tree or else it would be illicitly harvested by a crafty MNer.