Maestronet Forums

Disappointing D string Setup

Rich

So, I finished a violin and the G string sounds warm and the A and E sound good.  The D string lacks warmth and seems not to have enough body.  It is especially evident playing 3rd finger in first position (g pitch).

I am wondering if there is something I should consider trying with the setup.  What puzzles me is that the g is warmer, and the A and E are nicely bright.  Ideas?

I am wondering if there is any adjustment that seems to help the D string such as bridge adjustment or post or anything in the setup.  Especially the third finger on the D string seems tinny (but the G string is ok.)  Any thots?

Thanks

The A and E volume balance is good.  The violin has not been played much.  More specifically, how would you adjust the bridge or post?  I am not sure the post would make the difference on its own especially since the G string seems warm and good.  Maybe a thicker, less dense post, but it is already fairly soft spruce.  I have little experience in bridge adjustment.  It is cut according to generally standard  s parameters.  I am thinking the answer could be there.  Years ago I think I remember reading  suggestions how moving the bottom of the post but not the top could affect the D string but I can't find that info anymore.  It is interesting because there seems to be almost a reverse wolf tone on the g note on the D string.  That particular pitch is the most unappealing.  The same strings on one of my other violins is almost too warm and dark, so I am not inclined to follow that line of thought unless it is a bad string.  How would you adjust the bridge?

3 minutes ago, Rich said:

The A and E volume balance is good.  The violin has not been played much.  More specifically, how would you adjust the bridge or post?  I am not sure the post would make the difference on its own especially since the G string seems warm and good.  Maybe a thicker, less dense post, but it is already fairly soft spruce.  I have little experience in bridge adjustment.  It is cut according to generally standard  s parameters.  I am thinking the answer could be there.  Years ago I think I remember reading  suggestions how moving the bottom of the post but not the top could affect the D string but I can't find that info anymore.  It is interesting because there seems to be almost a reverse wolf tone on the g note on the D string.  That particular pitch is the most unappealing.  The same strings on one of my other violins is almost too warm and dark, so I am not inclined to follow that line of thought unless it is a bad string.  How would you adjust the bridge?

It is really pointless trying to do immediate set up work on a brand new violin or a recently assembled restoration....they need time to settle in and take up the tension inherent in the violin's design....They will be changing a lot after being strung up....I'd say your D string will sound fine in two weeks if you just play the violin as much as possible and do nothing else....

I also agree with Melvin, but what you're describing is quite a common problem with strings that have a sympathetic vibration - like playing a G on the D string or playing a D on the A string. It's worth trying to work out if the problem is the same when the open G is damped or stopped.

Once the violin has had a chance to make up its mind what it is, if the problem persists then there are little tweaks that can help.