lpr5184

Amati Viola

I'm chomping at the bit waiting for your scroll work. I've fallen in love with the Nicolo and brothers Amati scrolls. I'm even putting a Nicolo Amati scroll on my Titian model. Inspired should go along with all names because they'll not likely be mistaken as copies. :)

-Jim 

lpr5184   
5 hours ago, WorksAsIntended said:

This looks great!

I so much whish I could do that! It feels bad not beeing able to play it when it is finished.

I will be looking for a violist to play this in for a couple of weeks when finished. I don't know any here locally so if you lived really close then I would love to have you play it and have your feedback.

I live in Germany, you propably will be locted in the US? I did travel a lot to look at specific instruments but a transatlantic flight is a bit to much to explain this to my wife, I guess. 

I will however watch your documentation!

lpr5184   

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 0:15 PM, WorksAsIntended said:

I live in Germany, you propably will be locted in the US? I did travel a lot to look at specific instruments but a transatlantic flight is a bit to much to explain this to my wife, I guess. 

I will however watch your documentation!

:)   Yes in the US...sorry.

4 hours ago, lpr5184 said:

I will be looking for a violist to play this in for a couple of weeks when finished. I don't know any here locally so if you lived really close then I would love to have you play it and have your feedback.

If you build it they will come...

lpr5184   

Funny... I love that movie and in fact all of KC's movies. Every spring if I don't send my mom her baseball schedule on time I hear about it...:) 

lpr5184   

Back is glued to garland. Channel has been deepened. Nothing to do but wait until the glue dries and do some final adjustment to the arching.

002.JPG.92259aba185b4e7b5ee06cdac905419b.JPG

lpr5184   
7 hours ago, James M. Jones said:

Gotta say it...your work is beautiful . 

Sorry I missed your post Mike, Thanks a lot.!

-Didn't you just finish building one these violas?

yes , after G Amati, I don't have "the book" though so had to do a bunch of "throwing darts in the dark" still working on final varnish ect.

lpr5184   
1 hour ago, James M. Jones said:

yes , after G Amati, I don't have "the book" though so had to do a bunch of "throwing darts in the dark" still working on final varnish ect.

I had bought two copies and sold one. Eventually I'll sell this copy, form and templates too. I really should build one more before I do that though. I'd really like to hear what yours sounds like when finished.

lpr5184   

Ordered a new measuring caliper. The one that reaches over the ribs once the garland is glued. But for now...

Garland weight =76g,  Back 155.5g

001.JPG

Beautiful work E!  I'm looking forward to seeing it completed.  Seeing the pic of the garland on the scale I couldn't help but notice how clean everything looks.  Is the interior of the endblock chiseled and scraped?  Disc sander?  I also appreciate how tight the ribs are to the corner blocks.  Is that glue surface gouged and filed or did you use a spindle sander?  Keep up the good work but no more stitches! ;)

ctanzio   

lpr,

Thanks again for sharing this project.

With all that lovely flame and grain floating, ghost-like, just beneath the surface, how can you resist rushing to the varnish stage? I have to make a conscious effort to finish the construction and prep details when a construction project starts calling out for paint and varnish.

lpr5184   
12 minutes ago, Thomas Coleman said:

Beautiful work E!  I'm looking forward to seeing it completed.  Seeing the pic of the garland on the scale I couldn't help but notice how clean everything looks.  Is the interior of the endblock chiseled and scraped?  Disc sander?  I also appreciate how tight the ribs are to the corner blocks.  Is that glue surface gouged and filed or did you use a spindle sander?  Keep up the good work but no more stitches! ;)

Thanks! I use a chisel to roughly shape the endblocks and then sandpaper to round off and smooth everything. The inside of corner blocks I use a spindle sander and finish with finer grits.   This is all done after removing form and before gluing garland to back plate. Same  with linings, I trim them back before removing the form and finish sand them with finer grits.

I use a spindle sander only for fitting the ribs to the outside of corner blocks. When gluing the ribs and linings I try to be neat and avoid any glue spills.

-Oh and BTW the stiches happened a couple of years ago but I figured it is a good reminder as well as the quick burns you can get from barely touching the iron when hot. I do it almost every time I use my iron. Maybe I'll remember next time...

lpr5184   
On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 1:18 PM, ctanzio said:

lpr,

Thanks again for sharing this project.

With all that lovely flame and grain floating, ghost-like, just beneath the surface, how can you resist rushing to the varnish stage? I have to make a conscious effort to finish the construction and prep details when a construction project starts calling out for paint and varnish.

It is hard to resist. I like to take it to the finish stage and then place it in the sun. Now that the back and garland are done I'll begin sun tanning while I start on the belly.

lpr5184   

For the belly I'm using Swiss alpine spruce with a density of .34. Bought from Andrea and Rico Florinett. I've been very happy with their wood, prices and service.

http://www.tonewood.ch/whoweare.html

Letter designation is  MA=Master grade. 1548=Log number, 10=Year of winter cut

001.JPG

003.JPG