lpr5184

Amati Viola

Just now, Conor Russell said:

Mind you, there are some great ones out there. 

:) There was a thread sometime ago where violas where compared, modern vs one Cremonese.

One was clean and balanced, but that's just bias isn't it

Perhaps violas appreciate a bit of unevenness and guesswork in the making.  Personally, I think violins do too, but maybe that's just me. Can't help feeling that all these numbers are asking for trouble. After all, it's much harder to get the wrong answer, if you don't really believe that there's a right one.:)

4 hours ago, Conor Russell said:

Perhaps violas appreciate a bit of unevenness and guesswork in the making.  Personally, I think violins do too, but maybe that's just me. Can't help feeling that all these numbers are asking for trouble. After all, it's much harder to get the wrong answer, if you don't really believe that there's a right one.:)

mostly agree Conor, but the sort of "pathological" behaviour that E describes is just the sort of thing that measurements can really shed useful light on.

5 hours ago, Peter K-G said:

:) There was a thread sometime ago where violas where compared, modern vs one Cremonese.

One was clean and balanced, but that's just bias isn't it

There's a 2016 YouTube "Modern Viola Demonstration" with Elias Goldstein playing which had a 1590 Brothers Amati at the end.