lpr5184

Amati Viola

lpr5184   
On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 3:06 AM, MikeC said:

Does that have a coat of varnish on it or is that the ground drying?  

First coat of varnish over ground. Sorry for bad photo. I really don't like posting photos of varnish but here are some better pic's.

003.JPG.75cc4af17cd6eb54ddc0a720acecad0d.JPG004.JPG.881ab91c9b855ae91fb0aab150f30516.JPG

MikeC   

Yeah varnish is notoriously difficult to photograph.   Looking good so far.

lpr5184   
On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 8:56 AM, WorksAsIntended said:

There is only one thing worse than asking for varnish pictures: asking for an audio. 

Will you post one? :rolleyes:

I'm not a player but I'll try to find someone who can help out. Thanks for asking.

Hi E, Your ground and first coat have such a nice shine (i.e. even coat) I was wondering what your application method was and whether you are doing any flattening/sanding between coats.

Thanks,

Jim

lpr5184   
8 hours ago, Jim Bress said:

Hi E, Your ground and first coat have such a nice shine (i.e. even coat) I was wondering what your application method was and whether you are doing any flattening/sanding between coats.

Thanks,

Jim

I brush on a level coat and if varnish has enough open time I will pad with fingers and palm. No sanding between coats but I do knock down any nits.

lpr5184   
On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 8:53 PM, Nick Allen said:

Hey. I was wondering if you could show the front soon? I'm really excited to see it!!!

After I get back from vacation I'll finish up.

lpr5184   

Varnish is now done. Inspired by some recent photos here I'm not going to rub down with pumice to achieve a matte finish. Instead I'm leaving the varnish straight off the brush with minimal polishing.  The viola was fun to build and I'll eventually post a sound clip . Thanks for all the input and great comments.

E