lpr5184

Amati Viola

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 3:06 AM, MikeC said:

Does that have a coat of varnish on it or is that the ground drying?  

First coat of varnish over ground. Sorry for bad photo. I really don't like posting photos of varnish but here are some better pic's.

003.JPG.75cc4af17cd6eb54ddc0a720acecad0d.JPG004.JPG.881ab91c9b855ae91fb0aab150f30516.JPG

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 8:56 AM, WorksAsIntended said:

There is only one thing worse than asking for varnish pictures: asking for an audio. 

Will you post one? :rolleyes:

I'm not a player but I'll try to find someone who can help out. Thanks for asking.

Hi E, Your ground and first coat have such a nice shine (i.e. even coat) I was wondering what your application method was and whether you are doing any flattening/sanding between coats.

Thanks,

Jim

8 hours ago, Jim Bress said:

Hi E, Your ground and first coat have such a nice shine (i.e. even coat) I was wondering what your application method was and whether you are doing any flattening/sanding between coats.

Thanks,

Jim

I brush on a level coat and if varnish has enough open time I will pad with fingers and palm. No sanding between coats but I do knock down any nits.

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 8:53 PM, Nick Allen said:

Hey. I was wondering if you could show the front soon? I'm really excited to see it!!!

After I get back from vacation I'll finish up.

Varnish is now done. Inspired by some recent photos here I'm not going to rub down with pumice to achieve a matte finish. Instead I'm leaving the varnish straight off the brush with minimal polishing.  The viola was fun to build and I'll eventually post a sound clip . Thanks for all the input and great comments.

E

Actually it has issues, so a sound clip is out for now. I haven't given up on it but I plan to strip the varnish and do some rework. It feels light enough but the sound is severly dampened.

I experimented with a new and different ground ingredient but I won't make that mistake again. Hopefully I can salvage it. If not I'll chalk it up to experience.

3 hours ago, lpr5184 said:

Actually it has issues, so a sound clip is out for now. I haven't given up on it but I plan to strip the varnish and do some rework. It feels very light enough but the sound is severly dampened.

I experimented with a new and different ground but I won't make that mistake again. Hopefully I can salvage it. If not I'll chalk it up to experience.

It seems like the varnish did not work well for the sound, do you think that's the problem?

I think I'd be slow to take the varnish off. Is it very rubbery?

I antique varnish very lightly. I wet it with alcohol in doing so, and I think that that can sort of break the surface tension. It seems to harden more quickly.

If the viola sounds soggy, perhaps look at the bridge and post, and at least let the varnish cure thoroughly.

I don't think it's the varnish. I used a 1:1 oil to resin ratio. I did experiment with two different sizing ingredients and I think they had a negative effect...

So here's what I've done so far on the viola...Fitted three different posts, two bridges, numerous bridge and post placements and string after lengths, Different tailpieces and chinrests and lowered string heights off fingerboard and nut, lightened the neck, and fingerboard, tried several different string changes and everything has not changed the issue that I'm having.

The problem as I see it is a frequency issue right around  B flat. It's very evident all over the fingerboard when that frequency is played but most noticeable in first position on the A string.. It has a very dampened/muffled/choked sound. It sticks out like a sore thumb and sounds awful. Every thing else on all strings are pretty clear, maybe a little unevenness but that I think can be just a post adjustment.

I noticed it right away when first strung up. After all these trials I finally unstrung it and put it on the shelf.

I took it down about three weeks ago and re strung and set it up again thinking I would just let it settle in and let the varnish cure for several months before reworking it. So far the sour frequency is still there with no real improvement.

12 hours ago, lpr5184 said:

I don't think it's the varnish. I used a 1:1 oil to resin ratio. I did experiment with two different sizing ingredients and I think they had a negative effect...

So here's what I've done so far on the viola...Fitted three different posts, two bridges, numerous bridge and post placements and string after lengths, Different tailpieces and chinrests and lowered string heights off fingerboard and nut, lightened the neck, and fingerboard, tried several different string changes and everything has not changed the issue that I'm having.

The problem as I see it is a frequency issue right around  B flat. It's very evident all over the fingerboard when that frequency is played but most noticeable in first position on the A string.. It has a very dampened/muffled/choked sound. It sticks out like a sore thumb and sounds awful. Every thing else on all strings are pretty clear, maybe a little unevenness but that I think can be just a post adjustment.

I noticed it right away when first strung up. After all these trials I finally unstrung it and put it on the shelf.

I took it down about three weeks ago and re strung and set it up again thinking I would just let it settle in and let the varnish cure for several months before reworking it. So far the sour frequency is still there with no real improvement.

Have you tried doing a fingernail tap to the bridge and use Audacity software to see what its frequency response curve looks like?

I'm guessing there might be a deep valley at 466Hz between resonance peaks and maybe one at 932Hz too.