Maestronet Forums

We have been using our soundpost setters incorrectly!

FiddleDoug

19 hours ago, Peter K-G said:

Incredible!

While on the subject. I always set the sound post from the bass f-hole as I find it much easier to push the post in position. this way I can also see better what I'm doing, with a light source pointed to the other f-hole.

Anyone else set the sound post from the bass side?

2 minutes ago, Violadamore said:

I've done it both ways.  When I insert from the bass side, I usually catch it with a tong-type setter and pull it into place, followed by using the pusher ends of regular setters to settle it exactly where I want it.

Viola, you are talking about inserting a sound post aren't you?

18 minutes ago, franciscus said:

Picture, please!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HQ-Steel-Violin-Viola-Sound-post-setter-Scissor-Style-/271463138865?  They are very useful for rotating the post to face where you want it to.

I keep several of these and of the traditional type with different bends set in them. :)

10 minutes ago, franciscus said:

Thanks, VdA! I have one and I use it, but never really figured how to use it properly - meaning that I have no any established procedure for setting the sound post and I really hate that job :)

No two installations are exactly alike in how they go.  Sometimes you get the ends precut perfect by eye, flip the post upright, and you're done, looking like a genius.  More usually, it goes through several iterations of cut, try, look in the end hole, and remove for more cutting.  I keep a length gauge, a soundpost retriever, and the several setters as noted above.  Only experience helps.

I find that inserting with the post stuck on the setter end, followed by grabbing it with the scissors type inserted through the other f-hole and getting it roughly in place, then nudging it around with two setters inserted as needed to push, pull, and backstop, works best for me.  There's some new "silver bullet" on the market, with a bent rod attached to a collar, but I haven't tried it as it looks like a great way to tear up an f-hole. :)

Addie = Old School.

I have two setters and a retriever.  The vet bills are killing me.  [APPLAUSE]

Thank you, thank you.  baseball-cap-smiley.gif?1292867552

No, really, I have a setter set to Jacob Saunders' curve (he posted an image on MN), and one with the Darnton (nearly) 90° bends.  Sorry, Jacob, but I use the Darnton regularly.

1 hour ago, Violadamore said:

No two installations are exactly alike in how they go.  Sometimes you get the ends precut perfect by eye, flip the post upright, and you're done, looking like a genius.  More usually, it goes through several iterations of cut, try, look in the end hole, and remove for more cutting.  I keep a length gauge, a soundpost retriever, and the several setters as noted above.  Only experience helps.

Undersigned.

45 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

Ouch, I try to be pretty careful about anyone I endorse or recommend, Not that lots of fun can't be had around various ideas  surrounding inserting posts, or noodles,

Wasn't this the purview of nobility back in the day, granting dispensations?  I can picture you traversing your vast holdings on your motorcycle, David, inspecting serf dwellings and the like. :lol:

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 7:40 AM, FiddleDoug said:

For some reason, I was never able to sell the idea of a hole in the rib for this purpose.  But now that there is a new tool,...