Maestronet Forums

Holster Case at Bromptons

Televet

13 hours ago, Televet said:

https://www.bromptons.co/auction/27th-march-2017/lots/298-a-rare-italian-violin-case-circa-1700.html

Saw this and Thought of GlennYorkPA.

Not so many of these about, and not that highly priced all things considered.

Thanks for thinking of me! :)

We have no idea what the price will be; they only give an estimate which could be way off.

Jacob is right to question country of origin - it isn't Italian IMHO.

Glenn

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2017 at 11:11 PM, Televet said:

https://www.bromptons.co/auction/27th-march-2017/lots/298-a-rare-italian-violin-case-circa-1700.html

Saw this and Thought of GlennYorkPA.

Not so many of these about, and not that highly priced all things considered.

So, the hammer price quickly jumped to 1,800 pounds - a startling price for a case that was neither c.1700 nor Italian. Caveat emptor.

Glenn

18 minutes ago, GlennYorkPA said:

So, the hammer price quickly jumped to 1,800 pounds - a startling price for a case that was neither c.1700 nor Italian. Caveat emptor.

Glenn

I'm sure the consignor was very pleased. Perhaps its time to increase the insurance on your cases :)

Matt

4 hours ago, Rue said:

Wow!  Do you know why?  Was it a one-off, or was this a special item in some other regard?

Antique holster cases rarely come onto the market so there is a high novelty value but there are very few case collectors so the market is small.

I was interested in it myself but not at this price. It was a plain Jane version but still interesting to know if a violin with modern neck setting would fit. Usually they won't.

Glenn

4 hours ago, GeorgeH said:

I liked the Alligator case (lot 297) - estimate 200-400 sold for 840!

George, That alligator case was really quite nice - original handle!

Remember that 840 pound was the hammer price. To that must be added the 20% buyer's premium and if you wanted to bid online in real time it had to be done through salesforce.com who levy an additional 3%. 

Glenn

1 hour ago, GlennYorkPA said:

George, That alligator case was really quite nice - original handle!

Remember that 840 pound was the hammer price. To that must be added the 20% buyer's premium and if you wanted to bid online in real time it had to be done through salesforce.com who levy an additional 3%. 

Glenn

It was lovely! Well, not for the alligator. Anyway, I have always wanted one, but they are very expensive - I have seen museum-quality hornback alligator cases go for over $1200.