Maestronet Forums

Wood ID

joerobson

Probably Ipe as Evan suggests or a related wood like Hakia. Ive seen several woods that look very similar and have that dull yellowish green powdery surface when cut or planed. The yellow green powder is Lapachol, which used to be used as a anti-cancer agent ,it is considered toxic.

It is also quite nasty for pet cats, so bowmakers should keep cats away from the dust.

If the fresh cut surface was more yellow, I'd be thinking Osage Orange/Bois d'Arc.  That's very hard, and turns brown like that.

Edit= Any possibility that it's either true lignum vitae (Guaiacum spp.) or one of the Bulnesia species being sold as it?

1 hour ago, Wee B. Bridges said:

So hard to tell from those photos, but looks to be a tropical hardwood.

Agreed.  I looked around on the wood database site, and there are a few dense ones that look similar (I like "bullet wood").  I have a sample of something someone gave me that's similar looking, and a sinker at 1.12 density.  The guy told me what it was, but I forgot.  It was a strange name.

To be honest it could be any dense  type of tropical timber, my first thoughts were ipe or hakia mainly due to the green/ yellow powdery cut surface (if thats what i can see in the photo),but if your certain its not ipe then it could be anything  from those photos. There is loads of timber with obscure names imported for wood flooring.ew years back

I bought a load of wood from the stables of a country house a few years back,it was used as timber paneling ,around 75 years old. It has a similar appearance to yours as well , the seller said it was probably Denya wood (okan) from Africa.

This site has loads of example photos of timbers.

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/index.htm

Denya - Cylicodiscus gabunensis.jpg

On 03/17/2017 at 8:40 PM, Conor Russell said:

Might it be greenheart?

I had a few logs of it, very old, from the foundations of a wharf. It looked like your piece. The sawdust  felt greasy and smelled of rashers. But that could have been because  it spent a hundred years in the sea.

Greenheart it is... Matches the specs.

Thanks Conner!

How can you be certain on that, i have a collection of 100`s of these types of woods which ive collected over the years trying to find decent alternatives for bow making ,and without the labelling i have on them i would have great difficulty being 100% certain on some of them as they look so alike  even down to the pore structures and vessels which show in the end grain.:)