To Kittel or not to Kittel

Hi all!

Lovely to be back, but this time not under the thumb of somebody else, controlling my words...

Seeing as his bows are such a controversial subject, I thought it might be interesting for you to see a beautiful Kittel bow I currently have in my catalogue. My site is rather bare at the moment, what with it just being finished and without my stock being photographed yet, so my sincerest apologies for the emptiness! Looking forward to being a part of this wonderful community.

Very best

RH

18 hours ago, AtlVcl said:

So for those of us interested in seeing an honest-to-God Kittel, what are we supposed to do?

Who is "RH"..?

Maybe I'm in the market.

Hello AtlVcl at all;

Most of the show-and-tell that occurs on this site that is well within the guidelines.  Nothing wrong with posting a photo of something nice to support an ongoing discussion.  Offering items for sale isn't within those guidelines.   If it were, this discussion site would probably quickly turn rather commercial (many of us have inventories), less interesting for many, and I'd not be moderating here (I don't have a desire to moderate a marketplace, especially on a volunteer basis.  I have my own firm to run).  The "Auction Scroll" forum is as close as we get to discussing instruments and bows within the market and the "Luthier Exchange" was created to allow an outlet for tools and books to be exposed to others who might want/need them.

If you're dying to see photos of Kittels, and one doesn't show up soon enough for you, there was a book published pertaining to the maker a few years back.  Many photos.  If you're in the market for a Kittel bow, I'm sure a few phone calls will yield some leads.  You'd need one for 'cello, right? :)

Cheers!!

Jeffrey

7 hours ago, Jeffrey Holmes said:

If you're dying to see photos of Kittels, and one doesn't show up soon enough for you, there was a book published pertaining to the maker a few years back.  Many photos.  If you're in the market for a Kittel bow, I'm sure a few phone calls will yield some leads.  You'd need one for 'cello, right? :)

Cheers!!

Jeffrey

If the price were right it could be an investment!  Anyway, now that  I know who RH is, I suspect Google is my friend.

Thanks to all.

It might be an idea to read the Standard literature before morgaging the house.

http://www.holfter.com/Shop/main_bigware_34.php?items_id=249

Highlights for instance that he came from Vienna, made (at least) a violn in France, and his conections with Heinrich Knopf, which certainly left me wondering to what extent he made bows himself

12 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

It might be an idea to read the Standard literature before morgaging the house.

http://www.holfter.com/Shop/main_bigware_34.php?items_id=249

Highlights for instance that he came from Vienna, made (at least) a violn in France, and his conections with Heinrich Knopf, which certainly left me wondering to what extent he made bows himself

Indeed Jacob, a lot of people don't even believe that he existed at all!

The bow comes with a certificate from Grünke however.

There was an interesting cozio archive essay (to which I don't have access actually)

https://tarisio.com/cozio-archive/cozio-carteggio/the-bows-of-nikolai-kittel/

When I remember it right, he was supposed to be rather the owner of a high quality workshop with different employees, Heinrich Knopf one of them, and the bows a sort of collaboration products.

I would be interested in Grünke's opinion reg. this point, if made "by" or "for" Kittel.

3 hours ago, JohnChrome88 said:

Indeed Jacob, a lot of people don't even believe that he existed at all!

The bow comes with a certificate from Grünke however.

One hardly needs to go from the sublime to the ridiculous, since the book I linked, for instance, pictures his indentures (from 1825) as a violin maker (written in the German language) “Nikolai Kittel aus Österreichischer Unterthan hiehr gebürtig, den Herrn Violinmacher Nevall Jahre in der Lehre gestanden....” as well as the violin he made in the Derazey workshop, and a variety of invoices, as well as his marriage contract from 1841.

As far as I am aware, it would not be a violation of forum etiquete to post a (legible) picture of the Grünke certificate.

54 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

One hardly needs to go from the sublime to the ridiculous, since the book I linked, for instance, pictures his indentures (from 1825) as a violin maker (written in the German language) “Nikolai Kittel aus Österreichischer Unterthan hiehr gebürtig, den Herrn Violinmacher Nevall Jahre in der Lehre gestanden....” as well as the violin he made in the Derazey workshop, and a variety of invoices, as well as his marriage contract from 1841.

As far as I am aware, it would not be a violation of forum etiquete to post a (legible) picture of the Grünke certificate.

Never said I was a non-believer haha.

Certificate wording attached.

Kittel CC Grünke.pdf

Thanks a lot!

Though the certificate says "by Kittel", it appears to have an altered frog probably from a later period, as well as some more or less minor repairs to the head (pin hole crack, lifted wing). Isn't a pricing of 60 K a bit high for a composite Kittel?

• 2 years later...