Cloth linings on cello ribs


Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, jezzupe said:

Beyond the feces, needles and quadrants of homeless, the city streets are in such a bad state that I regretted driving the Cooper and wished I drove the 4x4 as the potholes were so frequent and large that it literally became a slalom course. So if all goes well, someday in the future, I hope to come back to the big mitten. There is an exodus from this state and there are many reasons why. 

Michigan isn't nirvana either. I read a report about Michigan having the worst roads in the nation.

How about Texas or Nevada? That's where lots of fed-up Californians go..... :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

Michigan isn't nirvana either. I read a report about Michigan having the worst roads in the nation.

How about Texas? That's where lots of fed-up Californians go.....

Ya,Ya, your "don't come here" tricks won't fool us :lol:  The rest of the country is just going to have to get used to the fact that all kinds of Californians are coming, coming to ruin your state! :lol:

Meh' really it's family stuff in the end.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, jezzupe said:

Ya,Ya, your "don't come here" tricks won't fool us :lol:  The rest of the country is just going to have to get used to the fact that all kinds of Californians are coming, coming to ruin your state! :lol:

Oh gawd, I hope not! It's bad enough living in a University town. Ann Arbor is already described as 75 square miles, surrounded by reality.

Jeffrey moved out to a "hick town" a while ago, and loves it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

Oh gawd, I hope not! It's bad enough living in a University town. Ann Arbor is already described as 75 square miles, surrounded by reality.

Jeffrey moved out to a "hick town" a while ago, and loves it.

Yeah but the beer's good, and where else can you see a werewolf violinist?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/2/2019 at 7:19 AM, David Burgess said:

The knowledge existed, but how much of it trickled down to the common craftsperson?

The knowledge exists today to put a man on the moon, and more, but I wouldn't expect most violin makers, craftspeople, or artisans to know how to do it.

Well, a historian of the period may well have an answer or provide some valuable context on how widely knowledge spread through the population at the time. (Cremona is a special case in that the history of Western civilization has an important nexus point emanating from there. Doubtful if that matters. But certainly it was a cosmopolitan place.)  In any case we are not talking about "common craftspeople." More likely a polymath genius.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/3/2019 at 1:24 PM, David Burgess said:

Oh gawd, I hope not! It's bad enough living in a University town. Ann Arbor is already described as 75 square miles, surrounded by reality.

It takes a certain extreme cast of mind to suffer A2, but at least you have Hill Auditorium and Zingerman's. There are various reasons I've considered retiring there, but then I remember sitting in a park, sweating, on 4th. of July, with sweat running down my face. If I was willing to suffer that, at least I'd choose to do it in Chicago!

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, mrbadger said:

Well, a historian of the period may well have an answer or provide some valuable context on how widely knowledge spread through the population at the time. (Cremona is a special case in that the history of Western civilization has an important nexus point emanating from there. Doubtful if that matters. But certainly it was a cosmopolitan place.)  In any case we are not talking about "common craftspeople." More likely a polymath genius.

Polymath geniuses making violins? Nonsense! While Stradivari appears to have been well educated there are existing documents where other classical period violinmakers signed with an X.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.