Sign in to follow this  
Dwight Brown

Codabow Diamond GX Viola Bow

OK, so Southwest Strings had a 15% off sale and for the first time ever it applied to Codabow products.  I decided to get a Diamond GX with the white "Alabaster" frog.  Complete impulse buy to be sure. Just a bit over 700 bucks with free shipping.  The thing is really good!  I have paid a great deal more and gotten a great deal less.  It bounces really well and the articulation is great.  The sautille is really clean.  I kind of have a routine for trying bows.  It is at the very least very good for the price and a great second bow or playing outside bow.  I feel a bit like I have gone of the reservation a bit but I thought you guys would like a report.  The slide is even carbon so there is nothing to alarm any customs inspectors. The screw mechanism is very smooth and the finish is pretty good over all.  The fit of the frog to the stick could be improved but it's ok.

On my electronic scale it weighed in at 70.0 grams on the money.

DLB

DLB

DBL, Give us another impression after you've had it a week or two. I had similar thoughts about an equivalent fiddle stick but after time found it bright but a little too stark and cold in sound, at least for the music I was playing and the instrument in hand, although it does have good control. I showed it to a few others who were mixed in the assessment, relative to the wooden sticks they were using.

Anyway, Thanks.

Glad to hear you like it! :)

I haven't played a higher quality CF bow...and the one I tried was perfectly fine. But it "felt" wrong. Could be all in my head though :ph34r:....I am a fan of "real" ingredients...

1 hour ago, Omobono said:

DBL, Give us another impression after you've had it a week or two. I had similar thoughts about an equivalent fiddle stick but after time found it bright but a little too stark and cold in sound, at least for the music I was playing and the instrument in hand, although it does have good control. I showed it to a few others who were mixed in the assessment, relative to the wooden sticks they were using.

Anyway, Thanks.

I do find the balance to be a little light at the tip, but so far it is much better than the last ditch bow I thought I was buying.  I do have to play it for a while for sure.  I am the one that keeps saying that the player gets broken in as much as the viola!

DLB

Have a GX violin bow and love it. CF and all. I am also a fan of the real thing and was skeptical until I tried one from Carriage House and bought it one hour after playing it.  I do own real Pernambuco bows.

I think taking the ferry over to PT and buying a CE would be...a very rewarding experience.

Dwight have you played any Espey bows?

2 hours ago, lpr5184 said:

Have a GX violin bow and love it. CF and all. I am also a fan of the real thing and was skeptical until I tried one from Carriage House and bought it one hour after playing it.  I do own real Pernambuco bows.

I think taking the ferry over to PT and buying a CE would be...a very rewarding experience.

Dwight have you played any Espey bows?

I have not played any Espey bows.  I imagine they are very nice.  I have a David Samuels, a Pierre-Yves Fuchs, Christoph Collinett, Douglas Raguse and a very unusual Gille Nehr.  Some for violin some for viola.  I used to have a very nice Marcel Lapierre that I was very fond of but FEDEX destroyed it.  I still miss it.  It sold for about $1500.00 at auction even though it was snapped off just behind the tip.

DLB

I have tried a Codabow Diamond GX violin bow and also found it to be reasonably good. But when I tried it against a good Chinese carbon violin bow that cost a lot less, the Chinese was at least equivalent if not better.  So far I always come back to a wooden bow - for me carbon has not yet reached the tone and flexibility of good wooden bows.

24 minutes ago, uguntde said:

I have tried a Codabow Diamond GX violin bow and also found it to be reasonably good. But when I tried it against a good Chinese carbon violin bow that cost a lot less, the Chinese was at least equivalent if not better.  So far I always come back to a wooden bow - for me carbon has not yet reached the tone and flexibility of good wooden bows.

So far I still like my Gille Nehr early Tete-Besche model bow better but another one of those is ten times the price give or take.  All this should be taken with a huge grain (block!) of salt as I am not a world class player by any stretch of the imagination.  The Codabow is very agile and the articulation is quite good but the Nehr draws seems to draw out a bigger darker more consistent sound.  For $700.00 and a bit it is pretty good. As always different strokes for different violas!

DLB

I see advertised a carbon fibre bow by Goetz & Leicht which claims to solve the 

" problem of carbon bows being too light overall or so light at the tip that articulated, accentuated playing becomes difficult"

The bows will not be lighter than 62 gms and the weight well-balanced. The retail price I see is 674 Euros.

Anyone seen one? It is not clear to me whether these are only fiddle bows,

(Lightness in synthetic or hybrids is any issue I would agree)

http://cagoetzjr.com/portfolio/goetz-leicht-carbon-bows

G&L.PNG

The Coda bow comes in at exactly 70.0 grams. My favorite bow really feels heavier but is 3.5 grams lighter.  Balance is really important!  I would love to see bows have weight pockets in the tip and frog for little tungsten or lead weights.

DLB