Sign in to follow this  
James M. Jones

Mittenwald

Got this on the bench,ran through Jacob's list, most check off's indicate Mwald ,but there are a few anomalies, like large corner blocks,CC linings not inlet blocks ,two piece book matched lower ribs. The lower block was cracked through and badly repaired but was the smallest I ever saw. Any thoughts on it's age and origin?

IMG_1354.JPG

IMG_1355.JPG

IMG_1357.JPG

IMG_1358.JPG

IMG_1360.JPG

IMG_1362.JPG

Looks french to me, too.

The "traditional french" construction method, building on the back with pre-installed corner blocks, longer in the C-bouts than in the upper and lower, is described here

Ends of the C linings glued over the blocks are common within this method, too. I guess, this construction was used still in the late 19th century sometimes.

I agree with BF that it's French, long corners are quite individual.  Any chance of a sharp picture of the corners, showing the purfling, which looks like it may unusual in its dimensions. and a scroll profile would be nice too.

Personally, I love the look of those long square corners - they're edgy! :) They also look very vulnerable to wear, yet the corners on the top look remarkably intact compared to the rest of the top, although I can't see them close-up. Have they been restored?

7 hours ago, baroquecello said:

What is that cleat doing exactly where the Sound post would be Standing on the back? doesn't like like a SP-crack repair...

It looks like there is a corresponding cleat in the top, too.

The top corners have both been "repaired" in the loosest sense of the word, also the outer edge of the lower treble bout. 

The purfling appears to be red from varnish as it shows a rather bleached out surface where the varnish has all chipped away on the bottom back... 

As I am looking closer, there are definite knife marks on the inside of the ribs (something I've done on my own ribs while trimming)adjacent to the linings next to the back, something I would find difficult for a built on the back method of construction.?

Mike,

The peghole bushings look really white. are they maple? Side grain? Did you make or buy them. Cool Fiddle.

I really like the form outline. The round lower bout appeals to me, especially the way the lower block is rounded as well. 

What model is this typical of if anyone could answer that?

15 minutes ago, Nick Allen said:

I really like the form outline. The round lower bout appeals to me, especially the way the lower block is rounded as well. 

Sort of like this one?

circa1780.jpg

I can't see much resemblance.

Edgework, model and scroll remind me more (except the idiosyncratic long corners ) of a "Bertolini" JTL, like this (5 stripe purfled). The outer ribs were covering the inner, too.

The OP could be some years older.

IMG_3412.JPG

IMG_3398.JPG

IMG_3424.JPG

IMG_3404.JPG

27 minutes ago, Nick Allen said:

Yup. Just like that one. Which maker would that be?

John Betts, 1780.  It has a lovely bird's eye back and ribs.  Not really related to the OP, but it is nice and rounded.

2 hours ago, Nick Allen said:

As far as I know, the model for this particular instrument is similar to that of the Lupot body or Claudot family, which was slightly oversized. I have an Augustin Claudot which is similar to the OP instrument.