Sign in to follow this  
Brad H

Hold-HeetGlue Pot Temperature

On 5/3/2019 at 6:52 PM, Woodland said:

Our Hold Heet just started to go last week. We knew something was up when it started throwing the breaker in the outlet. I transferred it to a power strip, fired it up and took the temperature of the water. Steam was coming out of the pot when the lid was removed and the temp was over 170 F and climbing. I found a reasonably priced second hand replacement and it's on it's way. The last time I had one go out I had the factory in Chicago rebuild it. I called them this week and their phone number had been disconnected, not sure if they're still in business, but I see plenty of people offering new Hold Heet glue pots for sale.

Hi woodland - I would suspect that the contacts on the bi-metallic trip have welded together.

Since the things is already "toast" you'll lose nothing by opening the workings and having a look-see inside to see how it works. Sometimes just freeing the contacts and cleaning them with water-paper restores life.

If, after checking things out, it is still u/s, send out an SOS via SWMBO to all her friends asking for donations of baby milk warmers.  Every mother hides one or two in the dark recesses at the back of a shelf.

At a guess you'll get at least half-a-dozen.

Now for the fun part. Fire them up and see how many work - check the temperature that they reach on the max setting. Then choose the highest reading one and open it up to get access to the bi-metallic switch. Usually it is adjustable. Took me all of 30 minutes to crank it up to warm things to 75C.

Next step takes a lot more tact. Again, hiding behind SWMBO, suggest that you are happy to recycle empty bottle of hair dye. These come with very neat little screw-on spouts. They are perfect for mixing up a fresh batch of glue and better still I have one quarter-filled-with-glue bottle sitting on a shelf for about 4 years now that still hasn't developed any mould.

65253291_DSC09931-resized.thumb.JPG.5e16a24a21db9498adcf8e452c6d61a7.JPG

I've always wondered about an electric fodue pot, I think it probably works better if you're wearing clogs and listening to Abba

I've actually used baby bottle warmers in the past and they do work,  they just didn't last. Both of mine fried in a matter of months. But in a pinch they seemed to work well enough, for a time anyways...

4 hours ago, Woodland said:

I've actually used baby bottle warmers in the past and they do work,  they just didn't last. Both of mine fried in a matter of months. But in a pinch they seemed to work well enough, for a time anyways...

Hi Woodland - never a shortage of babies :-).

I like the small footprint, the low centre of gravity - making it very stable, the neat match of boiler to bottle -  the bottle doesn't have any escape room and can't tip over. The hair dye bottle holds 60ml max - more than enough for most jobs and minimal loss if it goes off.

I haven't done so - but I have had this thought muttering around in my thinkbox. Why not pre-charge a set of bottles with glue flakes and have them in the cupboard - "just add water". The bottles are more permanent than the paper packet the glue flakes normally inhabit.

cheers edi

5 hours ago, Woodland said:

That is funny, because i buyed a baby bottle warmer about 7 years ago for exactly that purpose and it works simply fantastic! I always considered buying a ‚real‘ glue pot because of the silly look and hoped it would brake some day. „Unfortunately“ it works still like on the first day.