Sign in to follow this  
luthier

Strange questions

I'm sure others have been asked some real off-the-wall questions in the process of selling violins. Please feel free to add yours. This one has been haunting me for years. If you put a new soundpost in the violin, why aren't the edges of the f-holes all chewed up?

I have one that nobody has answered: on old spirit varnished instruments, why did the varnish chip away along the center joint of the top plate?  I have seen this on many violins.

Re: OP, because the luthier didn't rest the setter against the f-holes.

1 hour ago, Pete Moss said:

I once had a "potential client" ask if I could tune their piano.

Could you? :ph34r:

It seems like we've had some thread similar to this before because I remember giving this question before:

"Are they still making Stradivarius violins today?"

"Hello. The string-holder fell down on my violin. Could you glue it back in place so it won't fall down again?"

There was a customer at a shop where I once worked who came in to complain because her strings weren't oiled when they were changed. She insisted that her daughter was unable to play her rental violin because there was no oil to allow her fingers to move. The same customer came in a little later because her bow just couldn't grip the strings and produce a sound after she put vaseline on them for her daughter.

Well I had many stupid quiestions asked by customers, somebody was surprised that the top and the back has not been made of similar wood, but one of the most outstanding was when I opened the violin and the customer discovered that there was a bass bar inside. She asked: "WTF is this, is it a repair???"

I didn't ask this, but I remember as a child the first time I saw a violin up close I was shocked that a beautifully varnished "work of art" would have a raw piece of wood on it: the bridge.  It shocked my sensibilities.  Of course it was only a student violin and the bridge was not good wood or finely cut. 

We do see baroque bridges which were decorated, so maybe they liked to soften the look.

1 minute ago, Violadamore said:

Just about every lame and worn pick-up line you can imagine.

Violadamore...now we need a whole new thread: "Best and Worst Pick-up Lines to use in a Violin Shop." B)

49 minutes ago, GeorgeH said:

Violadamore...now we need a whole new thread: "Best and Worst Pick-up Lines to use in a Violin Shop." B)

"Mind if I remove your G string?"

"Maybe one of the other luthiers could get me 'set up' with you?"

OK I'm done