Sign in to follow this  
gaby214

Violin with "Hoof" stamped on the back under the button

Hi I have a violin with a "Hoof" stamped on the back of it. It needs a lot of repairs but I am curious if this is a Chinese violin trying to be "HOPF"..

Does anybody know any of this violins?

Thanks!

Here are the pics. Sorry for some reason I didn't receive any emails when someone replies to my post. I just bought it used.

Also how much do you think the repairs will cost.

Thank you in advance.

520855031091731.JPG

624946131091731.JPG

298427731091731.JPG

653950931091731.JPG

Definitely says Hoof. 19th century Saxon trade instrument. Most people will tell you its not worth fixing up. The body looks in good shape, but the neck is a mess. Some people will take an instrument like this and set it up as "baroque". Remove the bad fingerboard and wedge and put in a better baroque style fingerboard and wedge. Could end up being a cool. But don't sink a lot of dough in it. 

If you have matching serified stamps, you could add "AND MOUTH" and really puzzle people. :ph34r::lol:

This might make a nice companion piece to a "Strainer". :)

15 hours ago, gaby214 said:

Thank you for the reply, what do you mean P brand?

"Hopf"...not unheard of to see Saxon through neck construction instruments branded Hopf, (in just this position, and size brand, if you haven't seen a trade Hopf) even though not following the square shouldered Hopf family model. Obviously separate brands were used for each letter on your example, you can see this by their uneven alignement.

Perhaps a single piece brand was a premium touch reserved for violins with purfling.

Having a button centred on the back joint another grade up again...

Hopf.jpg

...  Is it my imagination, or does this look like a composite photo?  The edges don't match...

On 2/14/2017 at 4:44 AM, gaby214 said:

653950931091731.JPG

My Saxon violin has also a stamp under the button, but the letters are of matching size and perfectly aligned; probably a stamp that was made in one piece.

Are there known examples of makers who used  "one-letter stamps", or can one conclude that such stamps are always fake?

8 hours ago, Rue said:

...  Is it my imagination, or does this look like a composite photo?  The edges don't match...

Nope its not your imagination. The pics were taken by the seller, and it seems that left part of the back got separated from the button. If you look at my original 2nd photo of the back there's a space that needs fixing. I should receive the violin tomorrow. I can take more detailed pics.

9 hours ago, Eryri said:

"Hopf"...not unheard of to see Saxon through neck construction instruments branded Hopf, (in just this position, and size brand, if you haven't seen a trade Hopf) even though not following the square shouldered Hopf family model. Obviously separate brands were used for each letter on your example, you can see this by their uneven alignement.

Perhaps a single piece brand was a premium touch reserved for violins with purfling.

Having a button centred on the back joint another grade up again...

Hopf.jpg

I was looking at the HOPF violins online and I was thinking the Hoof violin is a Chinese knock-off by "HOPF" . 

Edited by gaby214

I do not think that this instrument has anything with China, rather with some brave amateur. Besides the very weird situation around the button, seems to me that I see the replaced or re-glued scroll. Also, I really would like to know the function of the hole drilled near the G peg.

3 hours ago, franciscus said:

I do not think that this instrument has anything with China, rather with some brave amateur. Besides the very weird situation around the button, seems to me that I see the replaced or re-glued scroll. Also, I really would like to know the function of the hole drilled near the G peg.

Nothing so interesting....just the lowest grade, beech necked, unpurfled trade fiddle, through neck construction, that neck in a mess, and what used to be called Klingenthaal. No amateur fiddle I've ever seen has used this neck construction (not to categorically say someone hasn't given it a go at some point though...)