Sign in to follow this  
Don Noon

Contemporary violin in concert competition, live

This is exciting for me, and hopefully somewhat interesting to some others.

Annelle Gregory will be playing my violin in the finals of the Sphinx competition this Sunday, 2/12/2017 at 2PM Eastern, 11Am Pacific time, and will be streamed live HERE.  In past years, the recordings have been very good, so I expect the same this time.  The other two finalists play cello.

This is a pretty big deal, with $50,000 to the winner plus "solo appearances with major orchestras."  I'm obviously rooting for Annelle (she's the one in the middle, in case you were wondering).  Reportedly there is a "viewer favorite" voting at intermission, which gives an additional cash prize, so I will shamelessly suggest you vote for the one playing the violin.

589e9a21bb22c_3finalists.jpg.b03a48ecb7c7e09c8e7e644d30e74c8b.jpg

Which reminds me of a question:  Why isn't any detail regarding the instrument and its maker hardly ever given in concert programs or recordings?   I made this suggestion once to the director of a concert series, who agreed it was a good idea, but never used it.

3 minutes ago, Trenchworker said:

Which reminds me of a question:  Why isn't any detail regarding the instrument and its maker hardly ever given in concert programs or recordings?   I made this suggestion once to the director of a concert series, who agreed it was a good idea, but never used it.

only if it's a Strad or a Guarneri. 

I did not say it was never done, I said it was hardly ever done.  But it is not routinely done.   Why not?  It seems to me that an instrument is an equal partner in the musical event, particularly for a soloist.  If the composer of the music is always listed, why not the maker of the instrument?

22 minutes ago, Violadamore said:

Don, your amateur status is tottering now.

That part is OK, but as soon as it starts to feel like a "job", I'm gonna quit.

10 hours ago, Don Noon said:

as soon as it starts to feel like a "job", I'm gonna quit.

That made me what I am today!

Congrats and good luck.  Glenn Dicterow's stamp of approval is a big deal in itself.  Or for that matter, making the top three, which she already did.

Get out there and kill, Annelle!  Remember when you saved our platoon in Afghanistan with nothing but a bayonet.  And remember...we still ain't got no use for no damn prisoners.  Kill!  Kill!  iiiiiiiieeeeeeee!

Don, hope you won't mind a question from someone that knows only what I've had the good fortune of learning here: I noticed your violin has rosewood fittings. Is there a particular reason you used? Specific tonal properties of this particular violin or is there another reason?

Voting?  I put in her name, and it said invalid vote.  I put in 2 and it accepted that.  I hope it's right :huh:

Martins was good, but I didn't care for the choice of music.  The Sibelius showed off the violin quite well.  The last contestant didn't do anything for me at all.

Very enjoyable.  Annelle did a fantastic job and your violin sounded great throughout it's range.  I particularly enjoyed the lower range, very expressive.

-Jim