Jump to content
Maestronet Forums

Tarisio Feburary - late 17th century composite


MaxwellS
 Share

Recommended Posts

I've been search through posts in this forum for a quite long time and a lot of them are really helpful, really learned a lot over here.

However now I feel like to actually register an acount to gather some opinions here.

Scrolling through the new Feburary sale on Tarisio to find something that I can potentially get, after some modern Italians, this one suddenly caught my eyes: lot 174

 

https://tarisio.com/auctions/auction/lot/?csid=2198536192&cpid=3418554368&filter_key=96f09d9f4190b2efd4cd193578bfbea8&sCategory_ID=36

So I've been sending email to Tarisio and I've been told that they are simply uncertain about makers of any part of this instrument! btw as a composite the top is not original.

Plus soundpost cracks on both front and back, whole bunch of inserts, cracks, I also kind of feel like it may not worth the estimate? In my opinion it does look pretty nice; with back and scroll look a bit like Amati school?

So what's your opinion on it? 

First post ever, thank for any replys :P

 

Edited by MaxwellS
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Andrea guarneri style F holes but I don't think the table is italian. Back follower of amati. Scroll is much later and makes no sense. So we have a composite violin that has been under a train and glued back together with 2 sp cracks... no thank you. I mean, I just don't like composite violins! The back is almost always better and you will never find a suitable table for it if you identify the back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have no clue but it does have a great look, and a nice size if your like me and like them a little big.

It would have to be a monster player for me to go in for that much, in that condition, with lots of other unknowns. But it does have the look of a monster player, if that means anything.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Maxwell - It is a pretty looking violin, but it is a Frankenfiddle, and I don't think I would spend any kind of money on such a violin unless I could hold it, examine it, and play it first. And then it would really have to have a voice that was superior than any other violin that I could buy for that kind of money for me to even consider it. 

If you were to win it and then decide that you don't like it, it is going to be harder to sell when it is competing against non-composite violins or ones that have a known maker.

Just my opinion...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Very interesting fiddle. The scroll has a volute graft, so there's not much to draw from that, other than that it's pretty. The back seems like it might have whalebone purfling, which together with the lack of pins, long size, long corners and a suggestion on the lower bass side of the ribs that the ribs are let into a trench, might indicate Dutch origin. The purfling of the top, long size and the interpretation of an Amati model suggests early French work to me, or maybe early Piedmont. I don't think I've ever heard of a Cappa this big, but aren't there some things being called Fabrizio Senta that are over 36cm?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Michael Appleman said:

Very interesting fiddle. The scroll has a volute graft, so there's not much to draw from that, other than that it's pretty. The back seems like it might have whalebone purfling, which together with the lack of pins, long size, long corners and a suggestion on the lower bass side of the ribs that the ribs are let into a trench, might indicate Dutch origin. The purfling of the top, long size and the interpretation of an Amati model suggests early French work to me, or maybe early Piedmont. I don't think I've ever heard of a Cappa this big, but aren't there some things being called Fabrizio Senta that are over 36cm?

Thanks a lot for comments, really helpful !

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Personally, I think composites can be a chance to get something interesting playing-wise, but the price has to be right. As GeorgeH wrote above, I wouldn't go for a fiddle like this unless I had a chance to try it out thoroughly, and was convinced it has something other fiddles in its price-range doesn't. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Actually it caught my eye too but didn't realize there was a thread current on this fiddle.

I took enough interest to ask Tarisio for another picture of a supposed Cappa belly on a Senta back for comparison.

There was a two-part feature in the Strad a couple of years back on Cappa I think. I would like to read it again.

Anyone remember when that was?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Omobono said:

Actually it caught my eye too but didn't realize there was a thread current on this fiddle.

I took enough interest to ask Tarisio for another picture of a supposed Cappa belly on a Senta back for comparison.

There was a two-part feature in the Strad a couple of years back on Cappa I think. I would like to read it again.

Anyone remember when that was?

 

It was bought by JS Bach for $10k......

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 04/02/2017 at 2:12 PM, MaxwellS said:

I've been search through posts in this forum for a quite long time and a lot of them are really helpful, really learned a lot over here.

However now I feel like to actually register an acount to gather some opinions here.

Scrolling through the new Feburary sale on Tarisio to find something that I can potentially get, after some modern Italians, this one suddenly caught my eyes: lot 174

 

Why did this particular instrument pique your interest? Because it broke (at least some parts) some magical date  -  in this case 1700?

If you are willing and able to spend 10K on a violin you can get a very nice and very unproblematic instrument.

But you need to go out and try it first.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Herman West said:

Why did this particular instrument pique your interest?

Whoops! I see now I am talking about another fiddle Lot 199, the Cappa Composite.

Sorry I butted in without reading carefully and goofed up...........:(

(You must have thought my previous post was a bit weird....)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, victordriver said:

Sospiri you made a name for yourself on a previous post so you must forgive the scepticism. It would be interesting to know where wood came from but as RF says above the location may have completely gone...after all Sherwood Forest (the most famous 'wood' maybe??) is now the town of Mansfield.....

I stand by most of the points I made on that thread. You surely know that sometimes a certain person can be rather reductive in his appraisals?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...