Maestronet Forums

Must Read.........Bell on Huberman Strad

Roger Hill

1 hour ago, David Holbrook said:

I have 2 violins underway built off the Huberman poster. I do love the story, and the violin. 

I used the Huberman poster to make my P form, but I won't be copying the graduations.  Personally, the sound of the Huberman isn't my favorite; maybe it's completely a different experience when playing it, but that's not gonna happen.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, carl stross said:

. He bought it because it suddenly opened for him endless possibilities, the instrument stopped being an obstacle in expressing his deeper emotions, the most subtle nuances of tone and instead became an almost equal participant in the creative act. And not that he did not try a cart load of violins before. :)

My current roughing gouge suddenly opened for me endless possibilities, the gouge stopped being an obstacle in expressing my deeper emotions, the most subtle nuances of bulk material removal and instead became an almost equal participant in the creative act. And not that I did not try a cart load of gouges before. :lol:

1 hour ago, David Burgess said:

My current roughing gouge suddenly opened for me endless possibilities, the gouge stopped being an obstacle in expressing my deeper emotions, the most subtle nuances of bulk material removal and instead became an almost equal participant in the creative act. And not that I did not try a cart load of gouges before. :lol:

I I believe you, that's a BIG tool and in trained hands must be very satisfying to use. I remember seeing a movie with it. ;)

1 hour ago, carl stross said:

One advantage when it comes to Strads is that one needs not bother with that sort of decision. One simply adds THAT sound to one's definition of GREAT.

In this particular violin, it is the residues of the shoe polish that have seeped into the finish that give it the GREAT sound. Probably something that should be tried by modern makers to recreate this GREAT sound. Another Strad secret pro tip: Red shoe polish is best applied using a "spit shine" technique.

13 hours ago, carl stross said:

But Josh Bell didn't buy the violin because of the story. He bought it because it suddenly opened for him endless possibilities...

Exactly. Like, who would write stories about what violin he was playing when he was busking in the Washington, D.C. subways if he wasn't playing a Strad?

21 minutes ago, GeorgeH said:

In this particular violin, it is the residues of the shoe polish that have seeped into the finish that give it the GREAT sound. Probably something that should be tried by modern makers to recreate this GREAT sound. Another Strad secret pro tip: Red shoe polish is best applied using a "spit shine" technique.

16 minutes ago, GeorgeH said:

Exactly. Like, who would write stories about what violin he was playing when he was busking in the Washington, D.C. subways if he wasn't playing a Strad?

I see you understand these things. You're not a dealer by any chance ?? 

16 hours ago, carl stross said:

That's true , it's a GREAT story. But Josh Bell didn't buy the violin because of the story. He bought it because it suddenly opened for him endless possibilities, the instrument stopped being an obstacle in expressing his deeper emotions, the most subtle nuances of tone and instead became an almost equal participant in the creative act. And not that he did not try a cart load of violins before. :)

Funny because the instrument he played before was also a Stradivari. Are you saying it didn't offer endless possibilities? That can't be.

10 minutes ago, Antoine Nedelec said:

Funny because the instrument he played before was also a Stradivari. Are you saying it didn't offer endless possibilities? That can't be.

Why not ???? :blink: ALL Strads offer endless possibilities. But maybe sometimes those possibilities require different paths to be taken, they're "differently accessible". :lol:  And the other one looked weird...  

3 minutes ago, carl stross said:

Why not ???? :blink: ALL Strads offer endless possibilities. But maybe sometimes those possibilities require different paths to be taken, they're "differently accessible". :lol:  And the other one looked weird...  

Are you thinking about the cornerless one? I think he had the 1732 "Tom Taylor" (not 100% sure)  before he bought the Huberman.

Anyway, all fine violins to me.

4 hours ago, carl stross said:

One advantage when it comes to Strads is that one needs not bother with that sort of decision. One simply adds THAT sound to one's definition of GREAT.

Only Strads played by famous players, as there are some duds .  I add that to my definition of sound that some other people think is great.  I retain my own personal tastes, regardless.  Not that I think Bell or his Strad sound bad; I just like some others more.

58 minutes ago, Don Noon said:

Only Strads played by famous players, as there are some duds .  I add that to my definition of sound that some other people think is great.  I retain my own personal tastes, regardless.  Not that I think Bell or his Strad sound bad; I just like some others more.

Which ones ( duds ) would those be ?? Some are "better" than others, that's for sure. There might be one or two duds out there, I haven't heard one. That doesn't mean much. Some are a bit quiet. That I heard. Bottom line is that it is very difficult to remove the violin from the context imposed by the player. I speculate that with A LOT of effort you could find five duds. But I doubt.

2 hours ago, carl stross said:

And looks matter??? *gasp*

12 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

I can still hear Huberman's musical soul imprint coming forth from the violin, grasping toward me like the hands (boobies?) of a wanton and insatiable woman, whenever Josh plays.

You know what ? So do I. :) And look at Josh Bell - he can't contain himself :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbJZeNlrYKg

( I don't think the strings section in that orchestra is big enough :) )