Interesting 18th century English violin

I am getting increasingly interested in 17th and 18th century English violins. Some instruments of Duke have a fabulous sound and are built like Amatis. He seems to have influenced others.

Here is a London violin which is possibly what the label says, Charles and Samuel Thompson. It is reminiscent of Duke, although somewhat more tardy. Tarisio tells us that they sold on the work by other makers http://tarisio.com/cozio-archive/browse-the-archive/makers/maker/?Maker_ID=748.

This one has some unfortunate and awful repairs to the scroll, probably after worm damage. Interesting features are  a nice one piece front and back, one piece top and bottom ribs, interestingly chamfered linings, probably the original pegs, nice purfling and edgework.

Do you think this fiddle is what it says it is? After it has been repaired, what do you think the value of such an instrument should be?

2017-01-21 15.44.29.jpg2017-01-21 15.48.41.jpg

2017-01-21 15.44.41.jpg

2017-01-21 15.44.58.jpg

2017-01-21_15_45_07.jpg

2017-01-21 15.45.12.jpg

2017-01-21 15.45.43.jpg

2017-01-21 15.45.51.jpg

2017-01-21 15.46.07.jpg

2017-01-21 15.46.21.jpg

2017-01-21 15.46.27.jpg

2017-01-21 15.46.44.jpg

2017-01-21 15.46.49.jpg

2017-01-21 15.47.17.jpg

One should realise that Chas. & Sam. Thompson were a Music shop/Music Publishers, and that the violins would have been made by outworkers. Indeed one can (rarely) see a pencil signiture of the actual maker inside the belly. The quality varies, yours being quite a refined nice one. Up untill now, I have never seen one with a date on the label like yours. Also I cannot quite see from your pics if the neck is nailed on, or not (would surprise me) although I have seen plenty with worm damage, they seem to have tasted nice.

I share your like of these old cheaper English violins. At the start of the 19th C there was the Continental Blockade for about a generation, and the English continued to make their own „cheap“ fiddles for themselves. Once this blocade finished, the dealers started to import much cheaper from Mittenwald and Markneukirchen, and the cheaper end of english making was dead as a dodo overnight (don’t tell Mr. Trump!)

I like these too. The nailed neck doesn't  surprise me. 

I think there may be a  variety of  Thompson  brands. I'd be interested if anyone knew a bit  about  them.

Heavily wormeaten necks seemy to be a fairly  common  feature  of old English  fiddles, perhaps more than  others. I put it down to  sweaty  wood holding  more  moisture, but that's  just a  guess.

Edited by Conor Russell
2 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

One should realise that Chas. & Sam. Thompson were a Music shop/Music Publishers, and that the violins would have been made by outworkers. Indeed one can (rarely) see a pencil signiture of the actual maker inside the belly. The quality varies, yours being quite a refined nice one. Up untill now, I have never seen one with a date on the label like yours. Also I cannot quite see from your pics if the neck is nailed on, or not (would surprise me) although I have seen plenty with worm damage, they seem to have tasted nice.

I share your like of these old cheaper English violins. At the start of the 19th C there was the Continental Blockade for about a generation, and the English continued to make their own „cheap“ fiddles for themselves. Once this blocade finished, the dealers started to import much cheaper from Mittenwald and Markneukirchen, and the cheaper end of english making was dead as a dodo overnight (don’t tell Mr. Trump!)

The neck is nailed, yes. And the ribs that are one piece from C-bouts corner to C-bouts corner.
Very nice work.

The finger board was previously raised, and is now being replaced after a neck graft.

2017-01-21 15.45.26.jpg

On 1/28/2017 at 2:59 PM, jacobsaunders said:

Up untill now, I have never seen one with a date on the label like yours. Also I cannot quite see from your pics if the neck is nailed on, or not (would surprise me) although I have seen plenty with worm damage, they seem to have tasted nice.

Here's another example of a Charles and Samuel Thompson label with a date and similar top block with the nail removed. Charles and Samuel Thompson London 1776 label.pngCharles and Samuel Thompson London 1776..png