mikeconroy

making oil varnish

my wife and i are getting pretty good at using "store bought" oil varnish on our violins. We are now thinking of making our own varnish. Any recommendations on good books with info and recipes for making oil varnish?  Any scoop is appreciated. Thanks Mike Conroy   Conroy Violin.. www.facebook.com/mtviolin

IMG_0185 - Edited  #24.jpg

Suggestion 1, go on Roger Hargrave's site and down load his making a bass blog/book.  His recipe and a lot of the how to's are right there.  Then search maestronet discussion using google's search engine, e.g. "Roger's oil varnish site: maestronet.com" tons of information.

Suggestion 2, Go to Joe Thrifts workshop this summer.  He'll be demonstrating varnish application and he uses Roger's methods and recipe.  I'm sure he would be happy to answer any questions you have.  

I think the biggest problem with MN in general and varnish specifically is that there is too much information out there.  That's why I'm only recommending one source even though there are many good ways to go about it.

-Jim