Sign in to follow this  
Leoband81

Old violin ID.

Hi, everybody. I'd love to hear your opinion about this violin. It has a wonderful tone and power but I have no clue where it's probably from. 

I know it's neck has been changed, and has a "Conservatory Violin" but all the rest seems not related to it. 

What brings my attention is that the F holes seems a bit far away from each other  

Thanks, guys!

IMG_3267.JPG

IMG_3268.JPG

IMG_3269.JPG

IMG_3270.JPG

3 hours ago, Leoband81 said:

It seems, to me, that the whole neck and scroll has been changed.

To me it looks like the scroll goes with it,  hopefully someone that knows for sure will comment I'm just trying to hone my ID skills :)

25 minutes ago, puckfandan said:

To me it looks like the scroll goes with it,  hopefully someone that knows for sure will comment I'm just trying to hone my ID skills :)

Cool, Mr. Fandan! I appreciate a lot your opinion. Do you think the violin is a "Conservatory Violin" Brand? Do you know its origin and why is it written in English if it's a DutzendArbeit (German violin)?

Conservatory violin is a brand often found at Schönbach violins of very different qualities around 1900. It appears to be, IMO, a mixture of czech and english, understandable for german speakers, too, which was clearly meant for export purpose in different countries.

By the photos it's not to decide, if the neck is original or not, but it would fit the body, which looks like a quite decent Vogtland work of the mentioned period. In my eyes it's a sort of a modified G.B.Guadagnini copy, what includes the big space between the ffs, nothing to worry about. The appearance features a mixture of artificial antiquing and real wear and scratches, it could be some kind of oil varnish causing the slightly glossy surface.

This kind of button graft is known to me as "hungarian", don't know for what reason it's called as such, I once had a J.G. Thir with a (maple) repair alike. I think, there's a dovetail under the block to connect button and bottom, I would leave it alone, never mind the wood.

10 hours ago, Blank face said:

This kind of button graft is known to me as "hungarian", don't know for what reason it's called as such,

A bit like „French polish“ which has bugger all to do with France, as far as I know.:)

These „Conservatory Violin“ and other such stamps can be found on „Dutzenware“ in the Export catalogues of wholesalers like Pfretschner etc. on instruments produced in masses at the end of the 19th. C, of which the OP violin is an example.

The button is, I would say, an unfortunate Repair, and would prohibit me from buying it.

These "conservatory" violins are fairly common and some can sound pretty good. I once had a 15.5 inch viola that had "conservatory violin" stamped on the back of the head even though it was a viola. Pretty good sounding for its size, and nice wood.

16 hours ago, deans said:

These "conservatory" violins are fairly common and some can sound pretty good. I once had a 15.5 inch viola that had "conservatory violin" stamped on the back of the head even though it was a viola. Pretty good sounding for its size, and nice wood.

Indeed, Mr. Deans. 

It has a powerful and colorful tone which surprises me as being a Gross mass production. 

I thought it was a French violin with a changed neck. I've seen some Bernardel that looks like this one. 

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and opinion!