dillywilly

Selling an expensive violin

17 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

If only contemporary makers had such a level of provenance, like Queens using the scroll to pleasure themselfves

Why do I get the feeling that someone is celebrating that it's Friday a bit too early? :o-_-:):D

34 minutes ago, Mark Neukirchen said:

Why do I get the feeling that someone is celebrating that it's Friday a bit too early? :o-_-:):D

You think I need intoxicants to get weird?

Even if you do, a famous philosopher and human behavioral scientist has pointed out, "It's five o'clock somewhere". ;)

9 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

You think I need intoxicants to get weird?

Even if you do, a famous philosopher and human behavioral scientist has pointed out, "It's five o'clock somewhere".

In honor of Friday, let's hear you say, Judy, Judy, Judy, Judy, Judy :)

19 minutes ago, Mark Neukirchen said:

In honor of Friday, let's hear you say, Judy, Judy, Judy, Judy, Judy :)

OK, Judy, Judy, Judy, Judy, Judy. How'd that go?

I'm admittedly from a rather formal upbringing, so maybe I'll need some more coaching to get it right?

40 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

OK, Judy, Judy, Judy, Judy, Judy. How'd that go?

I'm admittedly from a rather formal upbringing, so maybe I'll need some more coaching to get it right?

Just found this, The Dark Side of David Burgess Andy Griffith :mellow:

And in honor of sweet Mary, I enclose these for your viewing pleasure.

It's Friday for me, too B)

1 minute ago, David Burgess said:

Is it me, Andy Griffith, or Barney Fife? I couldn't always tell myself (although my mother always knew right away).

We all are a blending of the three, don't you think?

15 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

Is it me, Andy Griffith, Barney Fife, or Winston Churchill? I couldn't always tell, myself (although my mother always knew right away).

Hey, no fair adding Winston Churchill after I've already commented on your post :unsure:

Me, I'm a tasteful blend of Aunt Bee, Sarah Connor, and Alexis Carrington Colby Dexter Rowan. :ph34r::lol:

I've never understood the use of the term "5 figures; 6 figures; etc."  So 4 figures could be between 1 and 9 thousand, nest-ce pas?  That wouldn't mean too much if we're about to put our kid into college.  But 7 figures could be anything from 1 to 9 million. Now THAT would make a difference.  So why are we so crafty all the time?

And I guess if we count the two zeros on the other side of the decimal, then we don't have much investment at all.  My violins sell for 6 figures, a cool $1,000.00.

8 hours ago, Will L said:

...4 figures could be between 1 and 9 thousand...?...

No.  Strictly speaking, 4 figures is 1000 to 9999 or between 999 and 10,000.  In common parlance, 4 figures is one to ten thousand.

On 2/10/2017 at 0:17 AM, Violadamore said:

Oh, dear, a ring-knocker.  There goes the neighborhood...............:lol:;)

I was a recent cello college graduate.  I was stationed at West Point(less), attached to the band, as an enlisted man.  Hardly a "ring-knocker"

It's how I personally stemmed the tide of creeping Communism from sea to shining sea during  Vietnam.  If you think that was a cushy life, consider that other players who weren't forced to join up got a 3 year leg up on their careers, and got first dibs on decent jobs back in the days of 42 week seasons and $10,00/yr.  Some of my neighbors ended up in Chicago SO, Dallas SO, and were grateful for having done so.

18 hours ago, Violadamore said:

Me, I'm a tasteful blend of Aunt Bee, Sarah Connor, and Alexis Carrington Colby Dexter Rowan. :ph34r::lol:

Okay, I’m picturing a beautiful, sometimes devious, multi-divorced woman with a smoking hot muscular body that can prepare a blue ribbon worthy apple pie while humming church hymns and toting a full auto MAC-10. Am I close? If so, you might be my kind of woman ;)

2 hours ago, LeMaster said:

I was a recent cello college graduate.  I was stationed at West Point(less), attached to the band, as an enlisted man.  Hardly a "ring-knocker"

It's how I personally stemmed the tide of creeping Communism from sea to shining sea during  Vietnam.  If you think that was a cushy life, consider that other players who weren't forced to join up got a 3 year leg up on their careers, and got first dibs on decent jobs back in the days of 42 week seasons and $10,00/yr.  Some of my neighbors ended up in Chicago SO, Dallas SO, and were grateful for having done so.

OK, your reputation has been restored.  Nobody call him "Sir", he worked for a living. :)

1 hour ago, Mark Neukirchen said:

Okay, I’m picturing a beautiful, sometimes devious, multi-divorced woman with a smoking hot muscular body that can prepare a blue ribbon worthy apple pie while humming church hymns and toting a full auto MAC-10. Am I close? If so, you might be my kind of woman ;)

You silver-tongued devil!  Ummmm......no......wouldn't work out.  You seem to be psychic, and I'd likely find that a nuisance. :ph34r::lol:

My sale is finally complete and I would like to thank the people here for the advice. Although I did end up selling the violin in Seoul (I got a free trip out of it!!), the violin will be played by a really fine musician in the US. Here's what I learned in case others find themselves in the same position:

-Take your time, don't be in a hurry. I had quite a few people offer extremely low prices for it in the beginning, a lot of experts pointed out things that turned out not to be creditable, trying to persuade me that my belief in the instrument was misplaced. One company in the upper Northeast was down right nasty trying to get it from me. They came on so strong at one point that I started laughing!! Reminded me of the old used car business before Lemon Laws came out in the 80s.

-The paperwork for sale and tax forms were complicated and required the help of a professional. The sale had to be filed with the US and there was a waiting period, about 6 weeks in order to have the funds transferred

-Surprisingly, there was no negotiating the price! With the help of a restorer, I came up with what I thought was a fair but high price. The buyer accepted that outright, however I was required to sign a nondisclosure agreement as well as a secrecy document which gave me pause.

I hope this information helps someone, thanks again for the advice. I'm glad this is over with. Cheers

2 hours ago, dillywilly said:

My sale is finally complete and I would like to thank the people here for the advice. Although I did end up selling the violin in Seoul (I got a free trip out of it!!), the violin will be played by a really fine musician in the US. Here's what I learned in case others find themselves in the same position:

-Take your time, don't be in a hurry. I had quite a few people offer extremely low prices for it in the beginning, a lot of experts pointed out things that turned out not to be creditable, trying to persuade me that my belief in the instrument was misplaced. One company in the upper Northeast was down right nasty trying to get it from me. They came on so strong at one point that I started laughing!! Reminded me of the old used car business before Lemon Laws came out in the 80s.

-The paperwork for sale and tax forms were complicated and required the help of a professional. The sale had to be filed with the US and there was a waiting period, about 6 weeks in order to have the funds transferred

-Surprisingly, there was no negotiating the price! With the help of a restorer, I came up with what I thought was a fair but high price. The buyer accepted that outright, however I was required to sign a nondisclosure agreement as well as a secrecy document which gave me pause.

I hope this information helps someone, thanks again for the advice. I'm glad this is over with. Cheers

Now that violin is sold,could you tell us what violin it was?

Thanks

6 hours ago, dillywilly said:

I was required to sign a nondisclosure agreement as well as a secrecy document which gave me pause.

3 hours ago, mendicus said:

Now that violin is sold,could you tell us what violin it was?

Thanks

Given what the OP said (and I highlighted) above, this is likely to become merely one of the many mysteries of MN.  :)

On 07/12/2017 at 12:31 AM, dillywilly said:

Nice to get an update!

I would be very interested to know if any of Melvin's "bottom feeders" gave you good advice or offered to help in a way which you found acceptable, or were they all BFs without exception?

;)