Giovanni Paolo Maggini ca. 1615

I found these pictures of a Maggini ca. 1615 posted on pintrest by Massimo Chalvien.   I wasn't able to find any more information about this viola (or Massimo).  Well, I think it's a viola.  Anyway, I really like the shape of this instrument.  Does anyone recognize it, or have any more information about it?

Thanks,

Jim

682_maggini giovanni paolo_brescia-circa1615-b.jpg683_maggini giovanni paolo_brescia-circa1615-bff.jpg684_maggini giovanni paolo_brescia-circa1615-f.jpg

39 minutes ago, Berl Mendenhall said:

Rue, I like them also. I'm pretty fascinate with him right now. By the way you can get Hill' s book on Maggini for next to nothing from amazon (I believe). It's no ways near as good as the Strad book but still a fun read.

Good to know! Thank you!

8 hours ago, Nick Allen said:

Those little squinty f holes. Lol. 

Facetious?  I really like the width of the f-holes.  They seem in proportion to the robust outline and arching of the instrument.  Although I just have an impression of what I expect the arching to look like given the straight on pics.  I'm still hoping someone can come up with more information on this instrument.  It looks like a model I would like to make.

-Jim

On 1/20/2017 at 11:45 PM, Berl Mendenhall said:

Rue, I like them also. I'm pretty fascinate with him right now. By the way you can get Hill' s book on Maggini for next to nothing from amazon (I believe). It's no ways near as good as the Strad book but still a fun read.

Alternatively you can find a digital copy here:

https://archive.org/details/giopaolomagginih92hugg

Ed.

21 hours ago, Presumin Ed said:

Alternatively you can find a digital copy here:

https://archive.org/details/giopaolomagginih92hugg

Ed.

I just finished reading the book.  On reflection I doubt that the pictures I posted is a Maggini.  According to the Hill book, Maggini occasionally did a single  purfling, but he always made the the upper eye larger than the lower eye for the F-holes.  The book speaks very highly of the "Dumas" Maggini viola.  I'll continue my search in that direction.

-Jim

19 hours ago, Jim Bress said:

I just finished reading the book.  On reflection I doubt that the pictures I posted is a Maggini.  According to the Hill book, Maggini occasionally did a single  purfling, but he always made the the upper eye larger than the lower eye for the F-holes.  The book speaks very highly of the "Dumas" Maggini viola.  I'll continue my search in that direction.

-Jim

Hi Jim,

You might like to take a look at the book 'Liutai in Brescia'.  There you can see pictures and information about many Brescian instruments, including the 'Dumas' viola (p.202).   Also a Maggini viola with single purfling (p.186).

There are a number of articles, including one on Brescian instrument construction by John Dilworth which I found fascinating to consult as I was working on a Brescian-inspired viola.   On one question you refer to above he and the Hills seem to come to different conclusions:

"The upper and lower eyes of the f are usually cut with the same sized circle-cutter, a tool familiar to any decorative woodworker of the period, I believe, and not exclusive to the violin-makers of Cremona."  (p.61).

Ed.

On 1/22/2017 at 11:56 AM, Jim Bress said:

Facetious?  I really like the width of the f-holes.  They seem in proportion to the robust outline and arching of the instrument.  Although I just have an impression of what I expect the arching to look like given the straight on pics.  I'm still hoping someone can come up with more information on this instrument.  It looks like a model I would like to make.

-Jim

Jim, I believe the Strad has a Maggini poster of one of his violins.