• Announcements

• john

Read the rules at the top of this page before posting.   12/30/16

The rules are copied here for your convenience: The Auction Scroll is for sharing opinions on instruments listed and offered for sale online on this site or any other. It is for the civil exchange of ideas and opinions about the instruments themselves. The opinions expressed are solely those of the poster, and do not represent the opinion of Maestronet or its forum moderators. Personal attacks on individuals will not be tolerated and will result in banning from participation in the forums. For example you are free to state that in your opinion a certain instrument labelled such and such is or is not authentic. You can also support your opinion with facts as you see them, as long as you make no reference to the individual or company listing the instrument or use hearsay in your argument. You cannot say for example that such and such an instrument is not authentic because you know the individual listing the instrument is not trustworthy or you believe the company routinely uses false descriptions of its instruments. That will get you banned. Similarly, you can defend the authenticity of an instrument with the facts as you see them, as long as personal attacks and hearsay are not used. For example, you could refer to the shape of the f holes in support of a certain origin, but what you cannot do is attack any individuals that may hold a different opinion. This is a unique forum, so please abide by these rules to ensure it continues in its current form.
Bill Merkel

My $15.68 violin bow

I bought this bow to see what I would get for $15, like a grab bag.  It is an amazing bow!  Good resonance, weight, quick balance, beautiful frog.  Good and stiff, and nice curve.  What's wrong is the hole for the screw is way off center, drilled at about 1/3 of the diameter of the end instead of 1/2.  Maybe they are selling certain kinds of rejects from expensive bow manufacturing.   Hard to imagine it's a made to order $15 bow.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Best-Strong-black-Carbon-fiber-violin-bow-4-4-carbon-fiber-violin-bow-/172437661973?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=2GRwkRoFOmQA4kh5DzPLBnBSzSQ%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I've got one just like that! Only problem with mine was the lapping was installed a little too far from the frog - I had a new (slightly longer) thumb leather installed and that fixed the problem (although the thumb leather installation was double the price of the bow itself). I purchased a similar viola bow that came with the same issue, but I haven't had it fixed yet. The violin bow plays very well - it would be difficult to find anything that beats this for under $500. It's perfectly fine for most gigs or for teaching, or even for section playing.

Students brought me some of this type for rehair. You'll find out that it will be impossible to do without breaking the frog, because everything is fixed with superglue, even aceton soaking won't work.

2 hours ago, Blank face said:

Students brought me some of this type for rehair. You'll find out that it will be impossible to do without breaking the frog, because everything is fixed with superglue, even aceton soaking won't work.

The same problem was a reason for me to find this place

11 hours ago, Bill Merkel said:

I bought this bow to see what I would get for $15, like a grab bag.  It is an amazing bow!  Good resonance, weight, quick balance, beautiful frog.  Good and stiff, and nice curve.  What's wrong is the hole for the screw is way off center, drilled at about 1/3 of the diameter of the end instead of 1/2.  Maybe they are selling certain kinds of rejects from expensive bow manufacturing.   Hard to imagine it's a made to order $15 bow.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Best-Strong-black-Carbon-fiber-violin-bow-4-4-carbon-fiber-violin-bow-/172437661973?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=2GRwkRoFOmQA4kh5DzPLBnBSzSQ%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

It is always useful to hear this kind of stuff. I took four different Codabows on trial and didn't like any of them. They ranged £300 -£650. As for rehairing (Mongolian horse?)...throw it away and buy another.

1 hour ago, victordriver said:

It is always useful to hear this kind of stuff. I took four different Codabows on trial and didn't like any of them. They ranged £300 -£650. As for rehairing (Mongolian horse?)...throw it away and buy another.

Oh, I am afraid that these things are not so simple - there is quite possible that you get the new bow in need for immediate rehairing. It is possible even that the whole series has the same problem (typical mass production). Recently, I had three brand new bows from the same series that I had to rehair, because the knots in the frogs have not been properly fixed. Fortunately, there was no glue in the frogs and I was able to use the same hair, and unfortunately, the plugs have been too small and I have had to cut new ones. The tips were OK (more or less).

At this price point they are only worth rehairing if you really like the way they handle.  Then of course it's worth it.  A rehair is about $70, so at this junction the actual value of the bow is a moot point.

Interesting point, buying a violin bow as a diposable. Maybe not very useful for pollution control or environment protection. I imagine some tons of plastic bows floating among the pacific ocean....but I forgot, that those things as well as the climate change are now officially some chinese fictions:wacko:.

7 hours ago, Blank face said:

Interesting point, buying a violin bow as a diposable. Maybe not very useful for pollution control or environment protection. I imagine some tons of plastic bows floating among the pacific ocean....but I forgot, that those things as well as the climate change are now officially some chinese fictions:wacko:.

Since I teach about environmental protection, I feel responsibility to offer the option for environmental friendly disposal of "spent" bows: one can do that simply by sending them to my address and I'll take care of the proper procedure :) 

I think every fiddler in the world could throw away a thousand plastic bows and the effect would be like spitting in the ocean.  A city of half a million outlawing plastic grocery bags on the other hand...    I would get it rehaired actually.  It might be more interesting with premium hair.

As for rehairing, a pencil torch on the metal D-shaped part would negate any and all superglue there, and with that part removed, solvent would be able to get any superglue under the slide.  Methylene chloride would kick ass there.   Having spent some time as a mechanic, I understand the value of a torch on stuck parts, even a minuscule torch I guess :)

I am tempted to buy another, just because they are good and so cheap.  I recently found a new old stock gasket set on ebay for an engine I was rebuilding and it was so good and so cheap that afterwards I bought a second one.  And I'm fighting the compulsion to buy yet another.