Sign in to follow this  
GeorgeH

Tommy Jarrell Playing a Stradivarius

Inspired by the videos and discussion of Hilary Hahn's violin, here's a video of Tommy Jarrell, one of the genuine icons of old timey fiddle music from the Smokey Mountains North Carolina, playing a Strad at the Library of Congress. 

Thanks for posting it!  I always like to see these 'adventures'! :D

I didn't watch the video, but come on, what a sacrilege. Jarrel's own fiddle is in the Smithsonian or Library of Congress, I can't remember which, and it's a cheap Sears & Roebuck type that's just caked with rosin on the top. He apparently never wiped it off in his entire lifetime.  Who's the idiot who thought it'd be a good idea to let him try a Strad?

LOL...he just took it for an easy test-drive...no sacrilege.

And he wasn't impressed.  ^_^

26 minutes ago, clearsky said:

I didn't watch the video, but come on, what a sacrilege. Jarrel's own fiddle is in the Smithsonian or Library of Congress, I can't remember which, and it's a cheap Sears & Roebuck type that's just caked with rosin on the top. He apparently never wiped it off in his entire lifetime.  Who's the idiot who thought it'd be a good idea to let him try a Strad?

Yes, it was a Mittenwald fiddle that he paid $10 for in 1915. And he kept a string around his sound post for fast adjustments, and a rattle snake tail inside, too! :lol:

I think Antonio would have smiled. 

I love Tommy Jarrell and even bought three of his records in the late 70's and early 80's. I suppose most people would call his playing crude and unsophisticated but there just seems to be an innate simple attraction that has always fascinated me. 

Sally Ann Sally Ann, who's gonna dance with Sally Ann.  my favorite.

17 hours ago, GeorgeH said:

Inspired by the videos and discussion of Hilary Hahn's violin, here's a video of Tommy Jarrell, one of the genuine icons of old timey fiddle music from the Smokey Mountains North Carolina, playing a Strad at the Library of Congress. 

very interesting. thank you
My Favourite
:

That's Kenny Baker, of course.  While he never was less than fabulous, maybe this would be a more characteristic introduction to his bluegrass fiddle mastery...