• Announcements

• john

Read the rules at the top of this page before posting.   12/30/16

The rules are copied here for your convenience: The Auction Scroll is for sharing opinions on instruments listed and offered for sale online on this site or any other. It is for the civil exchange of ideas and opinions about the instruments themselves. The opinions expressed are solely those of the poster, and do not represent the opinion of Maestronet or its forum moderators. Personal attacks on individuals will not be tolerated and will result in banning from participation in the forums. For example you are free to state that in your opinion a certain instrument labelled such and such is or is not authentic. You can also support your opinion with facts as you see them, as long as you make no reference to the individual or company listing the instrument or use hearsay in your argument. You cannot say for example that such and such an instrument is not authentic because you know the individual listing the instrument is not trustworthy or you believe the company routinely uses false descriptions of its instruments. That will get you banned. Similarly, you can defend the authenticity of an instrument with the facts as you see them, as long as personal attacks and hearsay are not used. For example, you could refer to the shape of the f holes in support of a certain origin, but what you cannot do is attack any individuals that may hold a different opinion. This is a unique forum, so please abide by these rules to ensure it continues in its current form.
Sign in to follow this  
Stadiravius

High end Bow from South America ? Anyone ever see bows by this maker ? Worth it ?

FWIW...I've heard of him (for a long time now) and have never read anything bad about his bows.

Hi Rue, How much do you think it would be worth ? Here in North America a high end bow can usually run between 3 to 5 grand, but we're talking Michael Vann.

Sorry.  Can't help you there.  I haven't kept up with pricing.

Oh!  LOL...I thought you were getting it from the maker!

I need to read/look at pics more closely.  Is that a bunch of differently stamped bows in plastic bags?

The maker is legimate though.  I wish they'd make this unauthorized 'stamping' illegal.

Well .. this is kinda strange, emailed Silva and he is saying the bow is authentic, is it possible it's an old bow that Silva stamped with his name ?

Did you ask him anything else?  Price point?  Who the seller is? Etc?

The head exhibits those fine, faint vertical striations (not sure they would be called medullary rays) that I believe are typical of pernambuco.

Just an observation but I don't think the seller has much of a grasp of English and maybe not the money system her either: "ARCHETIER FRANCISCO SILVA ... THE MOST CONSECRATED ARCHETIER OF THE AMERICAS, WHICH CONTRACTED VARIOUS ARCHES FOR CONCEPTED AND CONCAGRATED MUSICIANS IN EUROPE. SOLOISTS AMONG OTHERS VIRTUOSOS."

Elevated shipping is often a way of avoiding customs and exchange formalities in some countries.  :rolleyes:

11 hours ago, Asimauve said:

lol that's insane, probably a mistake ! BTW, worth 500$ for the conaisseurs here ?

If you were to part with $500 for this it would be more to do with how you felt about the bow once you got it, than whether it was worth anything. A bow with a fake stamp and most likely bulk manufactured in Germany, is not likely to be valuable. Go local or go to a real auction where you can try a bow out.

Thanks for the feedback Chris, I know you often contribute to bow threads so I'll trust your judgement and look elsewhere ... the quest for another bow is ongoing !

1 hour ago, martin swan said:

Just to say I agree with Christian, run of the mill student bow nothing more.

Thank you very much Martin, much appreciated