James V

Hopf and unknown violin

Hello!

I have two of my great-grandfathers violins. I do not know anything about the violins so I would greatly appreciate if someone could tell me something about these violins and how much they could be worth.

The first violin has the name HOPH on the back and the other one has GEWA or GFWA marking on it. Hopf looks very old and it has a few cracks on it and I know it has been at least close to a hundred years for my family. The other violin seems to be in better condition and it has no cracks on it. 

There is no specialized violin shops in my town where I could turn to, so I greatly appreciate your help!

Thanks already!

-James

IMG_2700.JPG

IMG_3049.JPG

IMG_3050.JPG

IMG_3051.JPG

IMG_2696.JPG

IMG_3045.JPG

IMG_2697.JPG

IMG_2699.JPG

The "Hopf" looks like mid 19th century Saxon, not worth much with that back crack. The other one looks like later Saxon also not worth much but might be playable at some level. They might get 50 bucks on EBAY. Maybe there is some value in the bows.

They both look like Markneukirken type instruments. Not worth a lot at the best. I would call the HOPF( not really a HOPF) a total write off. The back soundpost crack is a killer, and combined with the front bassbar crack, would cost a ton of $ to fix.

The GEWA on the other one doesn't mean anything. It's just the company that made the chin rest. That one might be OK, but you should have a good luthier look it over to check the sound post, bridge, pegs, etc..

On 9.1.2017 at 5:38 AM, deans said:

The "Hopf" looks like mid 19th century Saxon, not worth much with that back crack. The other one looks like later Saxon also not worth much but might be playable at some level. They might get 50 bucks on EBAY. Maybe there is some value in the bows.

Thanks for the info!

The bows that I have are 'Arcus Elite' bows. Are they worth of something?

-J