Sign in to follow this  
johntgr

How to remove fingerprints and dirt from the instrument.

Good morning from Greece,

I would like some advice on how I can remove fingerprints or dirt from my viola except for rubbing it gently with a dry cloth or using polishers that may damage the sensitive oil-based varnish of mu instrument. 
  Is it good blowing hot air from your mouth and then quickly dry the surface with a dry cloth a good idea? I tried that and it works.

Hi Johntgr - that's how I go about it. I use a yellow duster - maybe a little spit if the dirt is stubborn. Greatest plus is that you are only doing a small area at a time, you are going slowly and won't get into trouble too quickly.

Patienca, patienca - cheers edi

7 hours ago, DBCooper said:

Soft microfiber cloth, similar to the type used to clean glasses.

Hi DB - thanks for that - old habits die hard - and I have several microfibre cloths lying around.

cheers edi

For some reason the back of my violin's neck...by the button... gets dirty...enough that I feel it. Haven't noticed it anywhere else. Don't know if the varnish is different/weird there...or it is normal because I am playing up there  (well...trying to) a lot.

I have spit cleaned the dirt off there a couple of times now (spit plus Q-Tips) and it seems to all be fine. Varnish remains in place and the dirt comes off.

On 1/8/2017 at 6:26 AM, johntgr said:

Good morning from Greece,

I would like some advice on how I can remove fingerprints or dirt from my viola except for rubbing it gently with a dry cloth or using polishers that may damage the sensitive oil-based varnish of mu instrument. 
  Is it good blowing hot air from your mouth and then quickly dry the surface with a dry cloth a good idea? I tried that and it works.

I don't see anything wrong with that, particularly when compared to some more aggressive or potentially damaging solvents, and "violin cleaners and polishes" (which might contain just about anything from snake snot to hypo hymens)..