Sign in to follow this  
David Burgess

Amazing Hilary

1 hour ago, Herman West said:

I knew something was wrong, thanks.

Funny how Putin's twin can be such a great conductor.

Well, I think  I know the trick: his grandfather Vallo Järvi was the first to be the conducter of the Elbonian National Opera.

His father Neeme was the next; and his brother Kristian will be the next to come; while he is shuttleing between Europe and Japan...

Well, best of luck, anyways...! :)

Hilary sounds exquisite!  

I enjoy the sound of her Vuillaume, although it might not be what we have come to expect.  It's clear, focused, present, and works well for her.  

I wouldn't be caught dead with a mismatched chinrest, though :-D

Beautifully done.  But I'm a bit surprised that the thread has gotten this long without someone claiming how inferior she is to Oistrakh or some other long dead player.

12 minutes ago, Greg F. said:

Beautifully done.  But I'm a bit surprised that the thread has gotten this long without someone claiming how inferior she is to Oistrakh or some other long dead player.

That would be more likely if this was posted on the fingerboard forum.  On this forum, we are restricted to arguing about how inferior her violin is when compared to one of some other longer dead maker.

On 1/7/2017 at 9:36 AM, Rue said:

Are you serious, or joking?

She has a gel pad on her chinrest.  It looks a lot better than the towel she used.

I like her dress.

It was meant to be an absurd statement. Hil is one of my favs, along with James Ehnes. This recording of Hahn playing Ernst's Erlkonig is great, it's a very difficult piece.

47 minutes ago, vathek said:

It was meant to be an absurd statement. Hil is one of my favs, along with James Ehnes. This recording of Hahn playing Ernst's Erlkonig is great, it's a very difficult piece.

I had to ask, one never knows on the forums...hence the useful use of smiley faces...^_^

46 minutes ago, Bill Merkel said:

Her bra and panties didn't match either.

<_<

1 hour ago, Bill Merkel said:

Her bra and panties didn't match either.

47 minutes ago, clearsky said:

Bill, have some respect. There's just no reason or need for that.

Some people find it Hilarious

2 hours ago, Don Noon said:

That would be more likely if this was posted on the fingerboard forum.  On this forum, we are restricted to arguing about how inferior her violin is when compared to one of some other longer dead maker.

Touche' Don

3 hours ago, Don Noon said:

12 points !!

The  best comment on this one!!  :D

On 1/7/2017 at 11:42 AM, David Burgess said:

Just for fun and because I think she's great...

But as an excuse for  posting this in The Pegbox section, I guess I should point out that her chinrest doesn't match her tailpiece and pegs. :D

Also, notice the parabolic sound reflector earrings. ;)

It's fantastic. I posted sometime ago when she played this piece on NPR, some thought she needed a new violin and that it was boring

I think it's a fantastic violin and that this recording is showing exactly that

41 minutes ago, Peter K-G said:

It's fantastic. I posted sometime ago when she played this piece on NPR, some thought she needed a new violin and that it was boring

I think it's a fantastic violin and that this recording is showing exactly that.

No, it doesn't show that it's a fantastic violin, as that evaluation depends on who's listening.  I still hear the nice, straightforward, uncomplicated sound... however, since I would rather hear something that can growl or snarl or scream, it isn't fantastic to me.  Some people like oatmeal, an others like Rice Krispies, and you can never say that one is inherently better than the other.

1 hour ago, Peter K-G said:

1. It's fantastic.

2. I posted sometime ago when she played this piece on NPR, some thought she needed a new violin and that it was boring

3. I think it's a fantastic violin and that this recording is showing exactly that

1. Yup.

2. Those were idiots. She's got a new violin.

3. I'm glad to hear that.

2 hours ago, Peter K-G said:

I think it's a fantastic violin and that this recording is showing exactly that

Notice how different the sound is, without the parabolic reflector ear rings. :D

People say various things about the violin she uses, but if that violin is what works best for one who is arguably the best violinist in the world, who are we to argue?

Without a doubt, she could get free use of any number of Strads and Guarneris, or probably afford to purchase one of them herself, so this really comes down to a choice on her part, of what she wants to play on.

1 hour ago, David Burgess said:

People say various things about the violin she uses, but if that violin is what works best for one who is arguably the best violinist in the world, who are we to argue?

Best violinist in the world ( unarguably ! ) is Andre Rieu. That's of course if we use the same metrics / standards to compare the two. ;)

Hilary made 2nd on the recent MN Top 10 Living Violinists poll! :)

Funny how we all pick our favourites though...I never even think of her when compiling my personal lists. The reason I have spent as much time as I have watching and listening to her is because I am trying to see why she is as popular as she is. I just find her bland. :mellow:

Maybe I would need to see her perform live.

And for the record: I think all the Big Names are superb vioinists...comparing them is all just for fun.  And I do learn a lot by hearing everyones' opinions.

2 minutes ago, Rue said:

1. Hilary made 2nd on the recent MN Top 10 Living Violinists poll! :)

Funny how we all pick our favourites though...I never even think of her when compiling my personal lists.

2. The reason I have spent as much time as I have watching and listening to her is because I am trying to see why she is as popular as she is. I just find her bland. :mellow:

3. Maybe I would need to see her perform live.

4. And for the record: I think all the Big Names are superb vioinists...

1. My point, exactly.

2. Who doesn't ? :)

3. ..and alive.

4. Noooo, not even close. Quite a few are just marketing / PR exercises. Pretty much like violin makers. :)

I'm sure I remember reading an interview with Hilary Hahn (maybe Laurie Niles) where she said that her Vuillaume was just fine, and that she would rather spend time focusing on her playing than get caught up in some sick-making pursuit of the perfect violin. If I remember correctly, she likened the relationship with a violin to that of a couple ie. there is always someone sexier out there, but great love comes from commitment not restlessness.

I for one think this is a great attitude, and I'm not sure quite in what rarified universe this violin is to be regarded as less than decent (sorry Melvin:unsure:). She's not my kind of player and it's not my kind of sound, but I really admire her single-mindedness and her search for simplicity.

1 hour ago, Melvin Goldsmith said:

really needs a decent fiddle....just checking to make sure its Jan 9th and not April 1st

What makes anyone think they're really qualified to judge the quality of a fiddle over the Internet, as opposed to hearing it live?
I've heard many wonderful fiddles (and fiddlers, too), "up close and live", and I wouldn't bet my life on being able to tell them apart.  So what am I missing?  Someone please fill me in, b/c I'm apparently clueless.

56 minutes ago, LeMaster said:

What makes anyone think they're really qualified to judge the quality of a fiddle over the Internet, as opposed to hearing it live?
I've heard many wonderful fiddles (and fiddlers, too), "up close and live", and I wouldn't bet my life on being able to tell them apart.  So what am I missing?  Someone please fill me in, b/c I'm apparently clueless.

Oh, that's easy.  Get close-up telephotos of the backs, and match them on Cozio or whatever, using your smartphone. :ph34r:

I mean, like how many times have we been told here that only provenance counts for anything, and you're worried about sound???  Really, now! :lol:;)