David Burgess

Amazing Hilary

Just for fun and because I think she's great...

But as an excuse for  posting this in The Pegbox section, I guess I should point out that her chinrest doesn't match her tailpiece and pegs. :D

Also, notice the parabolic sound reflector earrings. ;)

And what about the little piece of mysterious material stuck on the chinrest?

Surely a tuned frequency dampener.....:)

One of my favorite performers, I'll pretend not to know that she plays a French violin, .....:rolleyes:

With Hilary I don't know if it's puritanism, playfulness, or both ...! I kind of think it's slightly wilful.

Anyway, if I could play like her I would be embarrassed about very little.

44 minutes ago, Piergiuseppe said:

What is the difference between Hilary and Hillary?

One L.

(someone had to say that)

Accessorize, accessorize, accessorize! Mixing and matching accessories makes a fun and fancy free fashion statement!

3 hours ago, vathek said:

I'd be embarrassed about the non matching chin rest.

Are you serious, or joking?

She has a gel pad on her chinrest.  It looks a lot better than the towel she used.

I like her dress.

I think it's great that in this day and age a leading soloist can get up on stage and wow an audience with a cheap tradey French fiddle that can hardly be worth any more than about $300,000. That's one ballsy Sheila!

I would like to know the size of the hall. Where was the mic?  Wonderful clarity. Wow. 

Some reverb present which is wonderful.

I like her dress, too.  I'd say the bold paisley's an unusual fashion statement for a soloist, yet the cut's totally flattering, and the overall effect is grand. :)

4 hours ago, Piergiuseppe said:

What is the difference between Hilary and Hillary?
es. Hilary Hunt or Hillary Clinton.

What.....ever. :P:lol::ph34r:

25 minutes ago, violins88 said:

I would like to know the size of the hall. Where was the mic?  Wonderful clarity. Wow. 

Some reverb present which is wonderful.

The Alte Oper (rebuilt after WWII) is pretty big, 2500 seats. But it's home to a Radio Orchestra, so it's expertly miked.

A lot of those concerts (often with Pavoo Jarvi) are on youtube and they sound great.

53 minutes ago, martin swan said:

I think it's great that in this day and age a leading soloist can get up on stage and wow an audience with a cheap tradey French fiddle that can hardly be worth any more than about $300,000. That's one ballsy Sheila!

9 minutes ago, Herman West said:

The Alte Oper (rebuilt after WWII) is pretty big, 2500 seats. But it's home to a Radio Orchestra, so it's expertly miked.

The recording is great.  The player is amazing.  The violin is OK I guess, very clean and pleasant tone... but just seems to be missing something I want to hear.  

1 hour ago, martin swan said:

And with budget Dominants, no expensive PI strings for her!  Or super projecting Evahs!

Shocking indeed.

Maybe she has some crazy idea that people should be listening to her and the music rather than her kit - I suppose it's a philosophy of sorts but it will never catch on ...

Ear-rings probably aren't real diamonds either.

5 hours ago, Davide Sora said:

One of my favorite performers, I'll pretend not to know that she plays a French violin, .....:rolleyes:

Yeah.  Damn shame she's forced to  make her career with a cheap French imitation of the real thing...

1 minute ago, jezzupe said:

Actually one of my favorite sounding violins, the only thing missing from the sound is the hype.

I agree, but I don't miss the hype :)