Rue

Thanks for the upgrade! But...

Thank you for the upgrade! :)

However...I really really really miss the 'new posts' button.

Also, can I revert to a desk top format to use on my phone?  With the new mobile format I have to click at least 3 times as much to get to what I want.  It's actually rather stressful for me. :(

Thanks again!

When is an upgrade a downgrade?  What is wrong with the "if it ain't broke, why fix it?" principle?  I have a theory about upgrades:  when someone new is hired, there is an urge to change something.  It's just a theory, however, with little basis in fact, from an old curmudgeon who groans at the inconvenience of re-training habits that work.

Glen or Jeff ,I think I like the upgrade.....but... I'm still having problems getting to my normal account . James M. Jones , I've checked my pass word and user /sighn in name ...???? maybe I'm just stupid....

I like the new site  format. I did have to try a few times to log in again yesterday. James, maybe you could try experimenting with different spacing between your first name, middle initial, and last name. 

"....We seem to have lost the ability to see who is logged in.  Before at the bottom we could see member names and the number of guests who are currently logged in.  It was a quick way to monitor how active the site was at a current moment in time and who was reading what posts.  Also to download anything (pdf or picture) you did not have to log in.  Now you have to login but we can't see who is logged in.   Weird?

Also there is a push notification that I find constantly annoying..."

copied from my follow-up in the pegbox following Jeff's advice

On 12/31/2016 at 10:49 AM, Trenchworker said:

When is an upgrade a downgrade?  What is wrong with the "if it ain't broke, why fix it?" principle?  I have a theory about upgrades:  when someone new is hired, there is an urge to change something.  It's just a theory, however, with little basis in fact, from an old curmudgeon who groans at the inconvenience of re-training habits that work.

I humbly suggest that if you knew the workings and difficulties we've had with function and security (spam) you may have considered it "broke".  Many of these problems are not evident to members using the site.  

From another curmudgeon who has many better things to do than unnecessary "busy work". :)

It seems that the you can see who is logged only if you browse to higher directory FORUMS.  Users are not shown in sub-directories such as the Pegbox or in sub-sub-directories such topic responses.  I miss this, since I just use the Pegbox as a quick link.

Updates are necessary, even if they are annoying.  Think of them as being like new glasses: they take a few days to get used to.

login: hint, it asks for screen name.  Iron Mike's might be a problem because it has a '.'?

my older PDF files are also gone.  Surprisingly, a few people were looking to download them.  

6 hours ago, Jeffrey Holmes said:

I humbly suggest that if you knew the workings and difficulties we've had with function and security (spam) you may have considered it "broke".  Many of these problems are not evident to members using the site.  

From another curmudgeon who has many better things to do than unnecessary "busy work". :)

Believe it or not, Jeffrey, I was not referring to the recent Pegbox changes, but to "improvements" in general, from website design to computer software to breakfast cereals and shampoos.  I was responding to the topic of upgrades in general, and had just been wrestling with a computer upgrade that I did not ask for.  In the specific case of the Pegbox, the staff has everyone's interests to look out for, and we adjust or leave.  I am not leaving.  I like the message notifications, I do not know how the "save" feature works or even if it is new.  I have not tried posting a photo yet, I was still learning how to post a photo the previous way.

In any case, I did not mean my comment about upgrades to be taken personally by the Pegbox staff.  I will try to be less curmudgeonly this new year.

A few notes:

1. As Jeff has pointed out, the old software had not had security updates in more than a year, and keeping it running was getting more and more difficult. So, primarily for security reasons, the upgrade had to be completed.

2. If you are having trouble logging in, try using your email address. It used to be that you could use your username or your screen name to login. Usernames are gone - so it's either screen name or email address.

3. Any features that you notice missing will be added back in - such as the ability to see who is online. As an admin, it is there for me now, but I may have to extend permissions to the Members group for it to show up.

4. Addie, do you have a link for those PDFs? All existing files should work fine and if they don't, then I'll look into why and get it fixed.\

5. Lastly, many of the features that didn't work correctly on the old software (like the view of forums correctly recognizing where there were unread posts) work properly on this new site.

Starting here on page 5, and going on for 11 pages.  The most recent pdfs are there, but the older ones download as zero K, or show an error message if opened in a browser.

Also there used to be a download count.  Is that possible in the new framework?  Not a big deal like missing files.

The new MN is much better on mobile.  No more memorizing smiley keystrokes!

Thanks in advance!  :)

Oh, P.S. I noticed you have to be logged in to view or download pdfs.  Just thought I would add that in case it was unintentional.

Having to be logged in to download attachments is a choice made by many board admins, and is intentional. But thanks for asking!

I am checking into the attachment issue - it is possible that somehow not all files made it across. I'll let you know when I know more.

Cool, thanks!  

One other thing... :rolleyes: sorry!  The old format had post numbers for reference.  The number also had a URL.

OK I found the links, but no numbers.  That's probably good enough to reference individual posts. 

Just viewing this new look for the first time today - my first login for the New Year.

Happy New Year to all by the way.

I will take a little time to acquaint myself at the changes.

Thanks.

I miss a LIKE-function! I agree, it is a bit tacky, with the "facebook-likes-generation", but it is a good way to show apprectiation to extrordinary posts, pictures or other contributions.

Other than the fact that with the upgrade went all of my previous content (some threads which disappeared COMPLETELY, 300-something of my own posts... I guess nothing can be done about that after all), what's with the obligatory e-mail notifications for posts in threads I follow? Why can I not choose only the regular site notifications instead of e-mail?

I would add that the old way of embedding pictures in the post IMHO was much better because I could (after the uploading the picture as an attachment) position the image at the place I want, move it if I want, stack more smaller pictures side by side etc. Now, I cannot do anything of mentioned, or I do not know how I have to use this new way properly. So, I'd like to see some short tutorial about the posting the picture and their positioning in the post.

On 1/11/2017 at 5:17 PM, thirteenthsteph said:

Other than the fact that with the upgrade went all of my previous content (some threads which disappeared COMPLETELY, 300-something of my own posts... I guess nothing can be done about that after all), what's with the obligatory e-mail notifications for posts in threads I follow? Why can I not choose only the regular site notifications instead of e-mail?

Notifications can be adjusted in great detail by clicking on your name at the top right, going to "Account Settings", and then clicking on "Notifications" on the right side of the page. Make sure to scroll down to see all of the options.

This is a demonstration of posting pictures.

Step 1. Drag files or use the "choose files" link to attach your images to the post.

Step 2. If you want to put a picture in the middle of your post, then use the "plus" sign on the uploaded picture. You can then place one of your photos within the post

For example, I can place the fireworks pic here: Early_Summer_2010_099.JPG

Once inserted, double click on the photo to adjust options such as positioning and size.

I can place my next photo on the right side and make it smaller: Maui_2011_Day_Four_101.JPG

If you use the "None" position for alignment (the default), then the picture will move and flow with your text, allowing you to put a picture in the middle of your sentence, like this Maui_2011_Day_One-Two_020.JPG one and I can put text both before and after it.

Lastly, you can of course then place a large image by itself:

Maui_2011_Day_One-Two_005.JPG