wooden

Which wood is this back made?

Hi. Can anyone identify this wood? It looks very different from the usual maple so I don't know.  Is it common among any violin making school? Thank you very much in advance.

On 29 de diciembre de 2016 at 9:05 PM, edi malinaric said:

Hi Wooden - what is that insignia stamped into the heel of the neck? About the wood - I wondered if it isn't maybe walnut.

cheers edi

Hi. I think I can not see any insignia clearly. I'd rather think it is some clamps marks. I also attach photos of the front and head i case someone could help identifying the maker. Thanks in advance.

On 29/12/2016 at 0:38 PM, nathan slobodkin said:

Pretty hard to see from a photo but looks to me like plain maple cut a bit off kilter. 

The back is probably made  of willow or white poplar.

2 hours ago, saintjohnbarleycorn said:

what is going on with the peg box? it looks like it had been repaired more than once?

Yes it seems it has had its cheeks repaired.

In the close up photo it appears to be an open grain wood like cherry or walnut. This rules out birch and poplar.

I can maybe see poplar in the first one.  I would rather go with field maple on the second.

don't know why this is italic.  I can't get rid of it.  <_<

On 14 de enero de 2017 at 10:39 PM, MeyerFittings said:

Either oppio or poplar, I'd say, poplar.jpg

Hi. Which wood is "oppio"?

No European walnut there. Walnut has very visible large open pores and typically color variation on wider pieces. Oppio looks much like other maples with fine medullaries and usually less figuring than typical Acer pseudoplatanus.

Looks like poplar (or aspen) to me.

Birch, poplar, maple, walnut... It seems there is no agreement. Maybe the top and scroll could give any clue? Maybe they can tell you the area in which its was made and from that exclude some options regarding the wood used for the back. 

2 hours ago, wooden said:

Birch, poplar, maple, walnut... It seems there is no agreement. Maybe the top and scroll could give any clue? Maybe they can tell you the area in which its was made and from that exclude some options regarding the wood used for the back. 

In Central Eorope the White Poplar was regarded as best wood forcarving kitchenware, especially for bread making, washing and meat salting. The tree grows very fast and very big. Easy to carve, with white colour.

Perhaps your violin is made by someone from central Europe?

The neck looks like maple, the scroll perhaps Boxwood?

I agree, the back of the OP violin looks absolutely typical poplar to me - it reminds me most of wood I had from a big black poplar (I think also known as a Lombardy poplar). This was a massive tree, probably the biggest tree in the entire valley, which came down in a storm. Very fast growing, around 200 years old but immense ...

I used the wood for a lot of things - the grain pattern and the way it takes a stain are very characteristic. Also it is a common wood for violin-making.

I think that's a very interesting violin by the way.

On ‎29‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 9:26 AM, wooden said:

Hi. Can anyone identify this wood? It looks very different from the usual maple so I don't know.  Is it common among any violin making school? Thank you very much in advance.

3.jpg

I like the design. Especially the top. I agree with Martin Swan, it's a very interesting violin.