Sign in to follow this  
Jeff White

Bow ID, Commercial German, or French?

I've always considered this to be a nicer German Markie commercial bow, nickel, finished out at 56.4g, 745mm length. Stamped Tourte and no export stamp.  I now need to price it and in looking at it, I'm not sure if my original thought as to origin is correct.  Could it possible be commercial french.  Difference between the two camps has always alluded me as I hear different things, but like most in this biz, there are alot of exceptions. I am often confused about pins, vs screws (brass or steel), tapered slides, 2 pc linings etc.  What are your  thoughts? And, what do you see to lead you that way?

post-48427-0-34608400-1482259872_thumb.jpg

post-48427-0-84705700-1482260005_thumb.jpg

post-48427-0-42318800-1482260305_thumb.jpg

post-48427-0-48786800-1482260370_thumb.jpg

post-48427-0-88277700-1482260434_thumb.jpg

post-48427-0-79898700-1482260562_thumb.jpg

Hi Jeff

Is it possible the frog isn't original to the stick? I certainly don't think that adjuster goes with the frog - how well does it fit the stick?

First guess is an MK bow with its original adjuster but with a replacement French frog ....  :blink:

Is the adjuster pinned?

And can you do a side view of the frog?

And of the stamp - what is its orientation and which side of the stick?

post-48427-0-46993500-1482263481_thumb.jpg

Hi Jeff

Is it possible the frog isn't original to the stick?  I certainly don't think that adjuster goes with the frog - how well does it fit the stick?    Sure fits well and seems like it to me.

First guess is an MK bow with its original adjuster but with a replacement French frog ....  :blink:

Is the adjuster pinned?   No

And can you do a side view of the frog?  Crap, I forgot to upload the 2nd most important pic  :wacko: .  Here it is.

And of the stamp - what is its orientation and which side of the stick?  In the forgotten pic

I don't know what it is but wouldn't mind owning it.  Looks old.

Is the weight 56.4 or 54.6 g?  In general, are older bows more or less likely to be lighter than 60g?

I don't know what it is but wouldn't mind owning it.  Looks old.

Is the weight 56.4 or 54.6 g?  56.4g, oops.

In general, are older bows more or less likely to be lighter than 60g?  I seem to run into this alot with cleaner older Markie bows.

Most all of my bows are cheapies, but I wonder if it's reasonable to think that, given the relative paucity of good bow wood, that older bows, including "factory" ones, are potentially a better source of good sticks than ordinary bows of more recent vintage ("artisan" bows excepted, of course).

OK, I would say stick and adjuster are definitely German.

Not 100% sure about the frog - would you say the adjuster is exactly the same alloy as the backplate and ferrule of the frog? Seems to be the same hue and I'm thinking the same alloy, being how I polished them, it may be harder to tell at this point