Sign in to follow this  
Jack Devereux

Amati Viola

Does anybody know the length of the G. Amati viola in the Galleria Estense (the one that book was recently published about)? Is that book worth buying? Or the Bein and Fushi one about the Primrose Guarneri? I'm mainly just looking for a good, not giant model to build, so if anybody has any ideas....

Thanks!

I don't have any information on the Primrose.  We did a group build on the G. Amati that was archived in this thread. http://www.maestronet.com/forum/index.php?/topic/332668-group-build/?hl=%20group%20%20build

I have the book and it is done very well.  Well worth the price for me.  I wouldn't have paid for the mould and template (being cheap) but got them (and the book) as a present from my wife.  Mould and templates are expensive but worth the price vs. time to make it yourself (which ever you have less of time or money) as they are also high quality.  I'm in the process of moving so my book is in a box someplace.  I think the length is around 408 mm, but that's from memory so it may be a little off.  Mike Jones is building the model now so he could verify the length.  You can look at his bench thread for a glimpse.

Cheers,

Jim

Mine is about 412mm.....Not sure about the original though.Looking at my notes from the group build ....that one was 412mm as well.  I was working off a photo copy without measurements...Generally it is a very beautiful model ,very rounded through the shoulders and hips,well open through the CC bouts, with narrow long corners. The larger upper eye in the ff holes stands in strong contrast to the smaller Strad style we are accustomed to seeing as well. a fun model to be sure. Enjoy!

I have the Primrose monograph from B&F and the other book as well.  I am sure someone will beat me but I will look when I get  home from work.

DLB

Sorry, I am loosing what is left of my mind.....

The B&F monograph is a Guarneri.

The A&H Amati Primrose viola is most likely cut down a lot but here are the dimensions from Cozio

LOB: 398mm

UB:   196mm

MB:   138mm

LB:   246mm

The Amati is an instrument that belonged to Mr. Primrose's father and as far as I know the one his early recordings were made on.  He sold it in the 50's to but the Andrea Guarneri (probably the work of Filius Andrea).  My teacher studied with him at Indiana in the 60's I think he still had the Guarneri then.  He had to sell it due to money pressures later on.  I don't think it would have brought huge money when he sold it like it would now.  I know at the time he was in Indiana he started to have problems with his ears.

The Primrose Amati belongs to the Head of the Curtis Institute, Roberto Diaz these days.  If you are near Philly you might get a look at it.

DLB

Thanks for the information! I think I may just grit my treeth and buy the Amati book. Unless you think the Primrose Guarneri would be a better first viola model to build? I'm into the viola as small cello rather than large violin idea, and it seems like the Amati stuff really accomplishes that well...

16" violas are as close to "normal" as we have :-)  407mm or so but anything from 400mm to 415mm is pretty much good.  The model I really like at the moment is the Andrea Amati that is in the national Music Museum in South Dakota (bet the weather is lovely there today) .  It is cut down from a larger tenor viola.  It has been termed the best cut down job ever.  I don't think it would be a very conventional pick for a viola model though.

http://nmmusd.org/Collections

They have probably one of the best collections of violas in the world including the Ex-Joachim Gasparo Da Salo tenor.

DLB

I should add that I have never been there but I am a member and I have two violas that members here have made me using two of the violas there as models.