Sign in to follow this  
tamiya

gee that STINKS... how to remove scent smells!?

On 12/23/2019 at 6:39 PM, tamiya said:

Castrol Hypoid 80w90 (for vintage rear differential) - dunno what additives in that, but it smells mighty distinctive.

Many gear oils contain sulphur. On another note, a friend of mine works for Tamiya. Met him when I worked for RC Car Action Magazine.

2 hours ago, scordatura said:

Many gear oils contain sulphur. On another note, a friend of mine works for Tamiya. Met him when I worked for RC Car Action Magazine.

Yes spot on... Hypoid helical diff gear teeth need EP additives which are usually sulphur or phosphorus... these EPs can leach copper out of brass parts if wrongly used in other gearboxes. Classic car maintenance needs so many different bottles :) 

hmm... hope there's no brass bits in a SturmeyArcher 3spd hub... relubed a few this year with the Hypoid bottle :blink: ah well, they've survived 40yrs, it'll take a few more decades to discover missing copper... 

oh wow, you were with AirAge? Cool!

I'm likely the last surviving subscriber to RCCA amongst my social circles :( came close to not renewing this year, because international rates have just about doubled from what I paid last year... RCCA is getting thinner & thinner too... even though just about every second page is pure advertisement. 

Been a sucker subscribing for decades :unsure: even got issue #1 -_-

On 24 December 2019 at 11:24 AM, tamiya said:

The scent just rubs off the neck & chinrest. After putting back in case, I'd have gone washed my hands several times & taken a shower... then still detect "hmm what's that smell" for rest of evening. 

Further to original saga, I went dug up my giant bottle or methylated ethanol. Pulled out Miss Stinky and liberally gave the neck and chinrest a spongebath with metho. 

Think the perfume must be oil based as the spirits did manage to pull some scent out & onto the papertowels. Much less smell transfer to skin when I tried playing it after it dried off.

Previously had only been cleaning with waterbased.

Hmmm... evil thought... would "makeup remover towelettes" work better still... pretty sure I know where to steal some from... -_-

4 hours ago, tamiya said:

Yes spot on... Hypoid helical diff gear teeth need EP additives which are usually sulphur or phosphorus...

So you are fine with stink in your lubricants, but not in violins? Dude, wassa wrong wit' you? :o;)

6 hours ago, David Burgess said:

So you are fine with stink in your lubricants, but not in violins? Dude, wassa wrong wit' you? :o;)

I'm just a weird meatbag full of contradictions I'm afraid, Dave... :P

I don't particularly care for floral scents but there's jasmine, camellias and azaleas planted in the garden... which IMHO don't have much purpose other than scent. Flowers meh... only interesting as a precursor to fruit I can eat. 

Then again I don't go dabbing smelly gear oil on the insides of my wrists and cleavage on purpose either... get anointed with that stuff enough just by being in the line of fire. Mucking about with ancient British machinery as I do, every fluid leaks out... whenever anything stops leaking - it means it's empty & overdue for top up. 

Hypersensitive olfactories, hyperallergic everywhere else... I gotta stick with natural fibres and avoid all unnecessary unnatural scents. Don't use aftershave, deodorants or antiperspirants and the only Toilette Water I own stays in the cistern. 

Fun! ^_^

19 hours ago, tamiya said:

I Don't use aftershave, deodorants or antiperspirants and the only Toilette Water I own stays in the cistern. 

Fun! ^_^

Would you advise positioning ones self upwind? ;)

On 12/23/2019 at 5:24 PM, tamiya said:

But ozone is just an oxidiser, isn't it? Essentially "ages" the material faster than normal; it sterilises by ripping oxygen out of proteins & damaging living cellulose cell walls.

i suspect perfume isn't made from degradable components? After all (afaik!) it's formulated to sit around for years in tiny transparent bottles exposed to light... and I don't hear much about perfumes "changing scent" as they age in the bottle - which suggests they're pretty chemically stable.

I think firstly need to draw out what's soaked in with some poultice pad. 

Was thinking of steam to "open up the pores" but don't think wood would survive the steam cleaner.

It's an oxidizer, but it's much more reactive than regular O2. It's not ripping oxygen out of things; it's attaching oxygen to things, e.g., making CO2 and H2O out of hydrocarbons. I suspect that anything with a strong odor is going to be a lot more volatile than cellulose. Firewood burns well, but it's a long way from gasoline.

I suspect that perfume isn't fully shelf stable; it's just that scent is subjective and few people can really tell, or at least articulate, what is changing (a bit like a few other things I can think of). In any case, while light might photodegrade molecules, it's not oxidizing them, so the analogy is imperfect.

The notion of a poultice strikes me as suspect. As a youtube wag put it, a vacuum doesn't suck. What you need is a way to lower the vapor pressure of whatever's in that violin, so it will migrate out. A vacuum chamber might work, if you could find a big one. But you'd risk cracks as the wood dried out.

Steam sounds like a total catastrophe, unless you also wanted to disassemble the instrument.

Clothespin?

On 27 December 2019 at 8:38 AM, David Burgess said:

Would you advise positioning ones self upwind? ;)

Butt of course, call me Pumbaa! :) 

On 27 December 2019 at 10:15 AM, Tom Fid said:

I suspect that perfume isn't fully shelf stable; it's just that scent is subjective and few people can really tell, or at least articulate, what is changing (a bit like a few other things I can think of). In any case, while light might photodegrade molecules, it's not oxidizing them, so the analogy is imperfect.

Back during uni daze we did an Industrial Design electice and another student investigated Perfume manufacture. According to her report commercial perfumes are designed to stay stable in a sealed bottle, but once applied to warm skin different components waft off at different durations so the signature scent evolves over the 4-6hours after applying. 

Applying it to a slip of paper at room temperature & waving it around in the air doesn't do it justice :P

On 27 December 2019 at 10:15 AM, Tom Fid said:

The notion of a poultice strikes me as suspect. As a youtube wag put it, a vacuum doesn't suck. What you need is a way to lower the vapor pressure of whatever's in that violin, so it will migrate out. A vacuum chamber might work, if you could find a big one. But you'd risk cracks as the wood dried out.

Steam sounds like a total catastrophe, unless you also wanted to disassemble the instrument.

Clothespin?

I've got a vac chamber :) just gotta evacuate the Swatch sitting in it. Managed to get some spirit solvents (was trying to clean the battery contacts) seeped into the dial/face cavity & won't evaporate out again... so I thought I'd leave it under vacuum, that'll make it evaporate faster... nope, no luck yet :( 

last weekend's metho spongebath seems to have done the trick so far. Has cut down on the stink, not much transfer to skin since. But might be just a 'surface' cleaning, wait a while and it'll bring up more from deep down.

Previous owner could've been soaking the scent in for years!

No self-respecting Australian male should go around smelling like daisies. It just ain't right!

I've been looking around for a "freshly poured concrete" scented aftershave.  The chicks will dig it and become putty in your hands. Just ask Violadamore. ;)

1 hour ago, David Burgess said:

No self-respecting Australian male should go around smelling like daisies. It just ain't right!

I've been looking around for a "freshly poured concrete" scented aftershave.  The chicks will dig it and become putty in your hands. Just ask Violadamore. ;)

coffeescreen.gif.7024e3eb38ce2d0c50b1319a3cf025e2.gif What I'm smelling here is freshly poured, but it ain't concrete.  :P

Spot on... Ozzies ain't Croc Hunters no more, the average urbanised Australian is a pansy that smells of COFFEE :P

Proper coffee! 30yrs ago we'd have said McD's filtered coffee was the best, percolators & plungers were for fanatics... then came espresso wave, now it's cold brews & pourovers... (waaaaitaminute... that's still just another filtered coffee ain't it?) 

Melbourne seems to have become worlds capital for coffee expertise, from roasting to barista skills... just as well, otherwise Australia's manufacturing industry is deader than a dodo. Other than digging up & exporting dirt, "education" is the next biggest export earner :( 

I avoid stinks 'cos it'll interfere with my nose... can't enjoy latest batch of fresh roast, the aroma & crema is all I seek. Ditto with making coffee for a smoker... their smell sense is so numb, even if I brew the stalest beans they wouldn't know :rolleyes:

btw not sure if any of you folks are a Fountain Pen geeks..err users :) 

Over the past decade FP ink nuts have gone crazy over "sheening", then came "shimmering" and now (sadly!) it's becoming "stinking" :( 

Yeah, SCENTED inks  :o

Even the big luxury marque Montblanc has gotten into the game, last year they offered Elixir Parfumery (for the Europeans?) Wood+Tobacco and they've recently announced (for the US?) Whiskey and Cigar https://www.montblanc.com/en-shop/collection/refills/writing-accessories/119597-ink-bottle-50-ml-james-purdey--sons-cigar-scent-brown.html

ewww...

That said I did buy a bottle of stinky ink... De'Atrementis made Coffee scented brown ink... bought one mainly 'cos it might be Limited Edition & I might never see it sold again. 

But everytime I see the concentrated dregs of my coffee glass... hmm... :unsure:

On 12/7/2016 at 2:24 PM, tamiya said:

Propolis as in honeybee spit? :) does it have a distinctive whiff?....

Distinctive Whiff?... Being an old apiarist, I can assure you that propolis , in its natural state, has a very pleasant slightly sweet mild odor. It is not "bee spit", it is a collection of various oozings from plants and mixed with some beeswax. It has antiseptic properties and honey bees use it to line the hive  for sanitary reasons and also fill any cracks in the walls of the hive... a wall to keep out any unwelcome migrants.:)

The best example of propolis in my area is the leaf buds of poplar trees in early spring... it's that sticky brown coating on the bud that keeps the bud from drying out before it can burst open.

... but honeydew honey that many people eat and prize is another story!:o

13 hours ago, David Burgess said:

Well what you really want to do is strip naked, get yourself 2 cans of the new pacific rush caffine and menthol shaving cream and liberally smear it all over.After about 5 minutes you'll systemically absorb 500 mg of caffeine and get so jacked you'll just bust right out the front door like a lathered madman , right about then the menthol starts kicking in. I'm not sure how it works on the ladies but boy you sure get that menthol fresh scent and a borderline cocaine heart attack. I read about it in teen vouge, so I trust the source :rolleyes:

5 hours ago, jezzupe said:

Well what you really want to do is strip naked, get yourself 2 cans of the new pacific rush caffine and menthol shaving cream and liberally smear it all over.After about 5 minutes you'll systemically absorb 500 mg of caffeine and get so jacked you'll just bust right out the front door like a lathered madman ,

You been spying one me? :o

9 hours ago, tamiya said:

Other than digging up & exporting dirt, "education" is the next biggest export earner :( 

The Vegemite-scented ink export idea never caught on? ;)

3 hours ago, David Burgess said:

The Vegemite-scented ink export idea never caught on? ;)

No point, Kraft (USA) bought Vegemite in 1935!! :( Sold it to Mondelez (USA) 2012 who then hived it off to Bega (oz cheese coy)... Bega's got the recipes to original Kraft Cheddar & Kraft Peanut Butter and they continue to sell it rebranded to Bega. But now Kraft themselves have reentered the market with "Kraft Cheddar" and "Kraft Peanut Butter" but they don't taste the same... IMHO unpalatably worse. Tried them hated them... (how does one even screw up cheesemaking so bad that it don't even melt the same way under the grille!?)

plus Vegemite just smells like stale beer... :P 

On 12/7/2016 at 10:13 AM, tamiya said:

Had a recent addition to be fleet arrive on the bench looking great... but stinking like a madame's boudoir.

It's a super strong floral tone, nothing citrusy or musky :)

Smell is most concentrated around the chinrest area... I've already done a wipe over with damp cloth, IPA, antibacterial swabs... :) but perfume still lingers. Worse it's rubbing off on whoever picks it up to play!

(Modern lacquer, not oil or spirit. Unaffected by alcohol)

Have left it on bench near sunny window past 10d, think the sunning has helped tone down the stink a bit.

Anybody have any surefire tips to remove scents from wooden Instruments?

I'm getting tempted to bury it into a vatful of sodium bicarb...

Have you tried the sodium bicarbonate and activated carbon treatments?

You might also try filling and burying the violin with granular "Kitty box" materials ( new not used).

1 hour ago, Dwight Brown said:

In Texas girls that really want to meet the man of their dreams dab a little Hoppes #9 behind their ears :-)

Why beat around The Bush?

Just offer outright to clean His Pistol for him!

:P:lol: