Gone With The Wind

Many thanks Mr Holmes!

Any more pics of the front and back you'd be willing to share?

I suppose you know of the Petrus of Mantua played James Ehnes on the DVD Homage, with "live in action" video of that great instrument.  I love its sound on that video. Here's a Youtube video: 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My husband likes Peter of Mantua but he loves Peter of Venice better.  Still, he would be delighted to read any research or thoughts you and others have about any of the Guarneris, so glad you have joined!! :)

He has been bugging me to get plans for a Peter of Venice cello from one of the generous denizens around these forums, and I haven't even tried yet because it seems like a task that could not be done via Maestronet.  I feel like it used to be easier to get information around here, don't quote me.  I applaud you for trying though, and I will gladly steal any photos or measurements etc. that you get anyone to post.  <_<

My husband likes Peter of Mantua but he loves Peter of Venice better.  Still, he would be delighted to read any research or thoughts you and others have about any of the Guarneris, so glad you have joined!! :)

He has been bugging me to get plans for a Peter of Venice cello from one of the generous denizens around these forums, and I haven't even tried yet because it seems like a task that could not be done via Maestronet.  I feel like it used to be easier to get information around here, don't quote me.  I applaud you for trying though, and I will gladly steal any photos or measurements etc. that you get anyone to post.  <_<

Your husband may want to contact B & F or the Stradivari Society.  If I'm not mistaken, Wendy Warner is (or was) playing the 'cello mentioned here: http://www.maestronet.com/forum/index.php?/topic/323536-pietro-guarneri-of-venice-beatrice-harrison-cello-1739/ and here are some measurements: http://www.archiviodellaliuteriacremonese.it/en/strumenti/1739_violoncello_beatrice_harrison.aspx?f=457947

Now what were you saying about "It used to be"?

The image was once posted to a website, known as "Descendants of the Plowden family". 

A certain member of the family, in charge of the website, thought it was the ex- "Plowden" del Gesu (1735) but couldn't offer any further information regarding provenance.

Here's a link open to the public with some Plowden photos. http://tarisio.com/cozio-archive/cozio-carteggio/guarneri-del-gesu-part-ii-1731-1740/  Don't know how the photo you listed got the Peter of Mantua caption attached... but I it doesn't appear to the Plowden del Gesu either.

Your husband may want to contact B & F or the Stradivari Society.  If I'm not mistaken, Wendy Warner is (or was) playing the 'cello mentioned here: http://www.maestronet.com/forum/index.php?/topic/323536-pietro-guarneri-of-venice-beatrice-harrison-cello-1739/ and here are some measurements: http://www.archiviodellaliuteriacremonese.it/en/strumenti/1739_violoncello_beatrice_harrison.aspx?f=457947

Now what were you saying about "It used to be"?

Huh.  Thanks.   :)

Really thanks. I'm sure he will do that.  There is a different one that Roger Hansell made a couple exact copies of, at least I think it is different.  Do you or anyone here know approximately how many known PoV cellos there are?  

FWIW, you might be interested to know that Joseph Szigeti's concert instrument was a Peter of Mantua which he carried everywhere in a heavy oak double case, sharing it with a beautiful Peter of Venice.  Of Szigeti's instrument, Isaac Stern once remarked that it was, in his opinion, the finest violin in existence.

Hi Jeffrey, great to hear from you.  Sorry I didn't see you in Cleveland a couple of weeks ago; it was a fun time, as usual.  There were 3 Peter of Mantua's there: 1685, c1710, and c1716.  Awesome.  Anyhow, my fiddle is doing well; it is hard to believe but it is 10 years old now.  David took the top off and took the bass bar down a few mm this past spring since he had initially made it somewhat high, and he felt that it would make it less stiff and give it a warmer sound without sacrificing power.  He seems to know what he's doing, since it feels good and sounds great. 

rq

Hi Jeffrey, great to hear from you.  Sorry I didn't see you in Cleveland a couple of weeks ago; it was a fun time, as usual.  There were 3 Peter of Mantua's there: 1685, c1710, and c1716.  Awesome.  Anyhow, my fiddle is doing well; it is hard to believe but it is 10 years old now.  David took the top off and took the bass bar down a few mm this past spring since he had initially made it somewhat high, and he felt that it would make it less stiff and give it a warmer sound without sacrificing power.  He seems to know what he's doing, since it feels good and sounds great. 

rq

Sorry I couldn't make it to Cleveland... I had a trip out of the country at the end of that week and couldn't manage the time away.

I talked with David a year or so ago about a cello (of a similar vintage as your violin) I modified during repair several years before (it had developed a s-p crack due to an accident) in a similar way at the request of the owner.  I normally don't like to modify contemporary work, but bass bars are replaceable parts and the player begged.  Didn't take much modification to loosen it up, and it made the player quite happy.

Glad to hear Bruno rounded up a good group...  For the exhibition a few competitions ago, Chris Reuning brought one Petrus, I brought another, and Roger Hargrave (who was judging) commented that he couldn't recall ever having been in a room with two at the same time. At 3, it looks like you now have one Petrus on him.   :)  Were they all the larger pattern?

I believe there were some at the Mantua exhibit this year...  I don't know how many... I unfortunately couldn't make it over.  They are rare though...  Probably slightly fewer exist than Carlo Bergonzi instruments.  I recall the Hills estimated 4 dozen.