Sign in to follow this  
funnyope

Violins with weak E's

What causes them? I noticed that some violins tend to have this flaw. My guess is that there is something wrong with the nut because my fingers feel awkward when pressing down on these violins.

Thanks in advance.

Post placement can have a significant effect..... sometimes. Some of the old violins of east europe often have a slightly lower fingerboard projection... and that lowers the bridge and that lowers pressure on the plate giving weaker response.... so higher tension strings can offset that issue. 

Cheers, Mat

Do you mean the tone is weak only on the open E? If so it is probably the nut. Adjusting string height at the nut is not hard. But if the violin is weak on any note played on that string the problem is elsewhere.

What causes them? I noticed that some violins tend to have this flaw. My guess is that there is something wrong with the nut because my fingers feel awkward when pressing down on these violins. Thanks in advance.

Many fine violins also have a weak open string e note.  Attached is a loudness vs. note graph of five different Strad violins and their average taken from:

F. A. Saunders, "The Mechanical Action of violins", J. Acoust. Soc. Amer., 9, 81-98 (Oct 1937) reprinted in Musical Acoustics, Part I, Benchmark Papers in Acoustics/5, 1975

The loudness dip around the e note (559Hz) is a result of a low output in the typical violins' frequency response curve at that frequency. 

post-44223-0-19271100-1479747088_thumb.jpg

Many fine violins also have a weak open string e note.  Attached is a loudness vs. note graph of five different Strad violins and their average taken from:

F. A. Saunders, "The Mechanical Action of violins", J. Acoust. Soc. Amer., 9, 81-98 (Oct 1937) reprinted in Musical Acoustics, Part I, Benchmark Papers in Acoustics/5, 1975

The loudness dip around the e note (559Hz) is a result of a low output in the typical violins' frequency response curve at that frequency. 

That's interesting. If the problem isn't with the string, but the frequency, then I would expect there is an equal response dip on the same note played on the A string.

I should have included a typical Strad frequency response curve.  Attached is a FRC for the Titian 1715 Strad redrawn from the "Strad 3D" to show the dip that typically occurs around the open e note (red line).

This dip at the e note's fundamental at 659Hz can be partially compensated by having a high peak one octave higher 1319Hz at the second harmonic such that the sum of the two isn't real low.  Of course if both the fundamental and the second harmonic are both weak the resultant loudness of the e note will be really weak.

Conversely if you want to avoid really loud notes then the fundamental harmonic and the second harmonic should not both fall on peaks in the frequency response curve.

post-44223-0-48075400-1479751690_thumb.jpg