Urban Luthier

1690 „Tuscan“ Stradivari - Treasures of Italian Violin Making vol 2

6 minutes ago, Jim Bress said:

On another note, are there any published measurements/plans for the "Tuscan" cello of the 1690 quintet?

You can find photos and measurements on two books :

"Antonio Stradivari - The Cremona exhibition of 1987" published by J&A Beare and "Strumenti di Antonio Stradivari" published by Ente Triennale di Cremona.

Measurements by Bruce Carlson

Thanks Davide.  There is a "Antonio Stradivari - The Cremona exhibition of 1987" currently in the Tarisio New York T2 Auction.  I seriously doubt my pockets are deep enough to win it though.  I'll keep my eyes open.  I have a poster of the 1690 CV viola and pre-ordered the book for the violin.  The combination may be enough to encourage me to build a quartet one day.  I here a tiny voice in the back of my head cautioning me to be careful what I wish for. :)

-Jim  

1 hour ago, Jim Bress said:

Thanks Davide.  There is a "Antonio Stradivari - The Cremona exhibition of 1987" currently in the Tarisio New York T2 Auction.  I seriously doubt my pockets are deep enough to win it though.  I'll keep my eyes open.  I have a poster of the 1690 CV viola and pre-ordered the book for the violin.  The combination may be enough to encourage me to build a quartet one day.  I here a tiny voice in the back of my head cautioning me to be careful what I wish for. :)

-Jim  

The Mediceo 1690 cello is very big, one of the few not cut down : 792 mm body lenght and 432 mm stop lenght, not sure it would be very comfortable to play.

Anyway it's very charming, the scroll is a true masterpiece from the hands of Stradivari himself.

Janito   
18 minutes ago, D. Piolle said:

I might be blind then...

This is the Betts.

What do you see between 40 and 50 secs when the purfling is seen most clearly?

1 hour ago, Janito said:

This is the Betts.

I know that video and what I see from start to finish is a purfling that seems to be leaning towards the center ! except at few places  where some efforts seems to be done to keep the tool upright.

It seems awkward to end with that if you start inlaying the purflings on a flat platform.

At least , this is my opinion.

Possibly related : When at school we learned that the lowest point of the arch has to be where the purfling lies. But looking at instruments like the Francesco Ruggeri picture above  , it 's clear that it is not always the case.

F Ruggeri.jpg

1 hour ago, Janito said:

This is the Betts.

I see the inclination of the purfling broadly following the curve at the point that it is set into it.  (This is not well expressed but I hope that you will understand what I am trying to say.)

There are better images that you might like to consider.  The CT scan axial slices shown in this book are an example:  http://www.cremonabooks.com/eng/shop_dettaglio.php?id=3103

Janito   
1 hour ago, John Harte said:

I see the inclination of the purfling broadly following the curve at the point that it is set into it.  (This is not well expressed but I hope that you will understand what I am trying to say.)

I agree that the older CT scans using medical equipment are not great at providing detailed info.

From my own work, I know that I hold the knife off-vertical and if I have the plate in one direction or t'other, I can generate a channel with an axis that points inwards or outwards at various parts of the plate.  In that example, the relationship to the edge arching will be variable and would not indicate any 'intent' (other than my carelessness).

A wider variety of high-resolution CT scans will be helpful in determining whether there are consistent patterns across makers, time periods and assistants!  

azanre   

The book will be finally available by next week, which is also the last one to pre-order. Unfortunately there was quite a big delay with respect to what was initially planned (Feb. 2017): the research took much longer than expected.

As per the documentary, the sound of the Tuscan was recorded in a hall which is famous for good acoustics, but we finally mixed only 2 microphones out the 4 available, that is the ones which were directly on top of the violin, at about 3 mt. height from the floor. The environment microphones were excluded in order to have as much as direct sound as possible.

Fabio Biondi commented this was the best instrument he ever played.

1 hour ago, Jim Bress said:

Hello and welcome to maestronet.  This is very good news!  Will you be making a form and templates as you did with the Amati viola?

-Jim

Never mind, I just found your email in my spam folder that answers the question.

"Many thanks for your recent order; please find our invoice enclosed with this message.  This time we did not produce a mould for the violin, since this is very similar to the P and PG housed in the Museo del Violino.  However we are developing a 3d print technique for the plates."

19 hours ago, azanre said:

The book will be finally available by next week, which is also the last one to pre-order. Unfortunately there was quite a big delay with respect to what was initially planned (Feb. 2017): the research took much longer than expected.

As per the documentary, the sound of the Tuscan was recorded in a hall which is famous for good acoustics, but we finally mixed only 2 microphones out the 4 available, that is the ones which were directly on top of the violin, at about 3 mt. height from the floor. The environment microphones were excluded in order to have as much as direct sound as possible.

Fabio Biondi commented this was the best instrument he ever played.

Welcome to Maestronet. I enjoyed the documentary very much! looking forward to the book and the 3D printed plates

6 minutes ago, Dwight Brown said:

I ordered my copy :-) I bought a total of 3 copies of the last book for myself, a present for my teacher and for the group build viola. Maybe time for another project?

DLB

Ha! Just in time for the 2018 VSA. Really good idea. A leisurely pace will be ideal for the participants.

37 minutes ago, not telling said:

Ha! Just in time for the 2018 VSA. Really good idea. A leisurely pace will be ideal for the participants.

I would be happy to provide materials, case, etc. but we need a real person to coordinate. I am just a cheerleader rather than a quarterback!

DLB