The Hilarity of eBay - Trumped Up Violin or Amazing? - My Latest Acquisition (Very Cool Case)

My primary interests remain:

1.  "Black" Viennese Master Violins pre-1850

2.  Fractional violins 1/8 and smaller pre-1930

3.  Fractional cellos pre-1930 (my daughter is a cellist currently playing a 1/10)

(message me if you have any of the above that you want to sell or share photos of)

I haven't been searching religiously as I once was but during the past few weeks I upped my searches and last night I found one that peaked my interests. It appears to be a 1/16th-ish violin from I think pre-1930 and it comes with a bow and an amazing little case. The neck is snapped off and the crack is described as clean. There is also a hole in the pegbox. Amazingly (with my track record), there does not appear to be a soundpost or bassbar crack. I made two offers, $65, and then upped it to $85 after the seller had gone to sleep. I noticed that eBay had indicated that there was another offer pending and I could not sleep well knowing I could wake up to another offer being accepted or someone using buy-it-now and losing this one, so I purchased it at the BIN price.

The length of the violin is described as being 14" and after asking a question (posted on the auction) I learned that it is a true fractional with the body being 8.75". If the neck is a clean break I will attempt, with advise provided on this thread (fingers crossed), to reattach it (documented fully of course). In terms of the hole in the pegbox, I have no idea what to do there and am open to input. I would like to ideally bring this into playing condition.

So, what did I purchase? The seller's grandfather owned this and was born in the late 1800s for what that's worth. If it was his grandfather's child violin, at this size, that would indicate it was purchased around 1900 but this is speculation. Any info about the origins of the violin and the case and the bow would be greatly appreciated. No matter what, at the very least, the case and violin will serve as attractive (to me) art pieces to display and I'm comfortable dishing out the $132.70 after shipping for this set. Plus, I have a baby boy due around Christmas and who knows, maybe he'll play it one day. I'm prepared for all comments so please dish it out, I'm looking forward to any and all input.

When it arrives, I will update with new photos if there are any that could help identify the three items. Cheers and thanks in advance for your input. Is the violin French? Dozenmade German? I have no idea of course.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/162266983864

Violin Case Bow - Antique Collectable Old Vintage Childs

Violin, Bow, & Violin Case

Antique - Collectable -Vintage

This violin is 14" long and has flaws

Please review pictures carefully.  Use the mouse-over for detail views.

More Disclosures:  The neck is cracked and the stem will come off.

The crack is clean and disclosed in the pictures.

I did not try to mend it. 

(This violin and case belonged to my Grandfather

who was born in the late 1800's.)

These items are being sold "As Is", No Returns.

All questions will be answered promptly.

Thank You for Looking!

post-66674-0-57706800-1478274548_thumb.jpg

post-66674-0-15374500-1478274550_thumb.jpg

post-66674-0-34857800-1478274551_thumb.jpg

post-66674-0-06580600-1478274553_thumb.jpg

post-66674-0-63663400-1478274554_thumb.jpg

post-66674-0-44996600-1478274556_thumb.jpg

post-66674-0-14537700-1478274558_thumb.jpg

post-66674-0-67170500-1478274559_thumb.jpg

post-66674-0-35924100-1478274561_thumb.jpg

post-66674-0-03543900-1478274563_thumb.jpg

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool case, good buy just for that. The fiddle looks to be very low grade to me, I wouldn't expect much of a player out of it, but you never know, maybe French? Looks like a one piece top.

Thank you Deans. Were there any high grade 1/16ish violins being produced 100+ years ago? Are there any 1/16ish violins that are players? What tells you that it's low grade?

I also feel that the case is amazing and is probably worth the BIY it now price alone. Cheers.

Is the „How do I do a DIY neckgraft“ saga going to be here, or will you start a new thread?

:)

Please reference the OP: "If the neck is a clean break I will attempt, with advise provided on this thread (fingers crossed), to reattach it (documented fully of course). In terms of the hole in the pegbox, I have no idea what to do there and am open to input. I would like to ideally bring this into playing condition."

Can I count on you to help professor?

You'll have to import him...and feed and water him well  for the duration. :ph34r:

Well, a couple of months ago I got 2 lavender plants and 6 jasmine plants for the windows, They are growing nicely and the "Maid of Orleans" jasmine plants (and the others) are ever-blooming and have been producing sweet smelling flowers. I give them water as needed and have eastern exposure so if I can keep them alive, I think I might have a chance. What's insurance like on such a package?

As of bassclef's violin - I think it's wonderful! Especially the case. Congratulations!

Thanks very much respected forum brother, Stavanger. BTW I have a good friend in the Stavanger Symphony Orchestra and thought you might have a connection to it but sort of ruled that out, am I correct? If this were on its way to you, would you be planning to repair the neck? What sprts of repairs have you done? Are you a professional Bass player, a hobbyist? What's your background in music?

Thanks very much respected forum brother, Stavanger. BTW I have a good friend in the Stavanger Symphony Orchestra and thought you might have a connection to it but sort of ruled that out, am I correct? If this were on its way to you, would you be planning to repair the neck? What sprts of repairs have you done? Are you a professional Bass player, a hobbyist? What's your background in music?

You ruled correctly. I have no connection to Stavanger Symphony Orchestra, apart from the fact that my former violin teacher plays violin there, a guy from my church plays the bass there, and my wife recently started singing in the SSO-choir! :)

If this violin was on it's way to my house, I would most likely take it apart and after a couple of days place it on top of a shielf together vith other half-started projects. ;) After some months I might take it down again and attempt a neck repair. I would peronally try to glue it back in place, as is, without doing a neck replacement. I have glued in place loose necks, but not broken ones before. I have also done peg bushings, soundpost-patching, crack repairs and cleating etc. HOWEVER, just as a hobby. I do real estate development professionally. I have also worked on making my own violin from scratch since spring. Maybe it will be done for christmas, maybe not. I have also stacked up with quite some tonewood, and making violins as a hobby makes sence since I also do other woordwork/turning.

I do have a certain advanced obsession with violins... I guess a hoarder can never sell his things again, so I am not (quite)there yet. But I would buy any violing/stringed something that I like and that seems like a good deal. Some I have kept, some I have sold again. After having sold a few recently I am currently back under the 10-count.

I guess I also answered the question whether I am a professional bass player. My musical background? I started playing violin at age 6, and went to music school until I turned 14. (I am 32 now.) I was quite good back then - but one day I decided that I would replace the violin with a guitar. I thought it was cooler... So I would play guitar and sing. In adult age I did get a violin, and played a bit every now and then, but never went back to practicing seriously. I guess the last year I have picked it up a lot more than before thou, and I love the fact that a lot of things "come back to me" quite easily.I also tought my self a bit of piano throughout the years, and the same with the bass. I always wanted one, so I bought this one a while back. I would define my vocals as my main instrument, and I use the guitar, bass and the piano to accompagny my self. I did a one year course in vocal technique at Complete Vocal Institute in Copenhagen. I do use my music here and there at different venues, but not for money.

So yes, it's all hobby - and soul therapy - for me.

I made two offers, $65, and then upped it to $85 after the seller had gone to sleep. I noticed that eBay had indicated that there was another offer pending and I could not sleep well knowing I could wake up to another offer being accepted or someone using buy-it-now and losing this one, so I purchased it at the BIN price.

Congratulations on your purchase.

The other offer was from me. I planned to photograph it and memorialize  it in my forthcoming second edition book on violin cases. Normally, I only include full sized cases but this one seemed exceptional and custom made for the violin. The violin seemed German so I assume the case is also but hard to say.

Enjoy.

Glenn

The other offer was from me. I planned to photograph it and memorialize  it in my forthcoming second edition book on violin cases. 

I would be convinced that the new owner of such a case would let you include it in your book anyway. If it was mine I would surely be honored to do so!

You got me curios about this being the second edition. Is this the first book then? Btw; I just ordered a copy! ;)

With it's often before demonstrated instinct, taste and courage BassClef is presenting another gem of artwork, congrats! B)

IMO an impressing composition. I agree with Deans that the baby violin is french, but never what I would call low grade. The rib joints significant shorter than the plates, edgework and purfling as well as the rounded scroll with very short "tail" look typical french, the same with the varnish. Although the woods aren't of the highest quality, the neatly worked ffs and purfling are quite unusual for a small instrument. Maybe some sort of "tradey" (like nearly all fractionals), but never "low" grade, at least compared with what we are used to see of toddler's instruments.

Having said this, it's striking that it's set up with some sort of baroque or "classical" tailpiece, though the neck appears to be of a "modern" dovetail construction!

It's hard to say how long this type of tailpiece was produced, especially with smaller and cheaper instruments, it puts the violin, if original, in a period around the mid 19th century.

Last, but definitely not least, the awesome case, which can't be nothing as a unique custom made piece, reminds me with it's castellated decoration of furnitures from the victorian era, something like pseudo-renaissance. But not german, what has a more straight and geometric style usually. The beautiful coloured embroidery features the same type of harp, which is sometimes decorating "Vieux Paris" labels or brands.

All in all, in my opinion it's very probable that we see a ca. 1850 french ensemble in an exceptional condition. My 2 cts B) .

Dang, eyesight's failing... thought this tread was something to do with the Elections :P

Hopefully opinions about the instrument/case/bow will be as divided as those on the elections, that would make a fun and interesting thread! Looking forward to more opinions about the origins of the three pieces. Once a good debate has formed I will of course be emailing non-MN experts to further spice up the pot, same as the Frankentiddle "Oops I Did It Again" thread, which also centered around my failings as a human being (purchasing cracked instruments etc.) and the uncertain origins (French/German?) of a vintage fractional violin.

For reference and good reading: http://www.maestronet.com/forum/index.php?/topic/329805-oops-i-did-it-again-another-ebay-violin-18-another-bass-bar-crack/

OMG, that's adorable, BC.  Congratulations.  Cool thread title, BTW.  :lol:

Ha! Thanks. I certainly would like to hear your thoughts as to origin, age, etc. Once the three pieces arrive I will post as many better images as I can, with additional instruction from those interested and with judgment on the matter. And who knows, maybe there will be little clues hidden in the three little containers (what's the proper term for those?) in side the case.

I would be convinced that the new owner of such a case would let you include it in your book anyway. If it was mine I would surely be honored to do so!

You got me curios about this being the second edition. Is this the first book then? Btw; I just ordered a copy! ;)

Yes, guilty as charged. I am unmasked. GlennYorkPA is the author of 'The Art & History of Violin Cases'.

Hard to believe I wrote it eight years ago so it is high time for an update.

In the intervening years I have accumulated more information and pictures than I ever had when publishing the original edition.

The first edition covered historical violin cases from all over with a large section on American cases, but the next one will focus on European cases from 1600 to 1900.

The Baroque, Georgian and Victorian periods are covered in depth with special reference to cases owned or commissioned by celebrity violinists and royalty.

As an appetizer, here is the case that belonged to Louis Spohr:

Glenn

post-5422-0-96958900-1478439131_thumb.jpg

post-5422-0-31267300-1478439187_thumb.jpg

post-5422-0-62362200-1478439231_thumb.jpg