Maestronet Forums

Top 10 Living Soloists - your vote

Rue

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I think this list is pretty comprehensive.... and yet I have names to add for consideration.  

(people I have played with)  (her comes the name dropping)

Alyssa Park - being the youngest person to win the Tchaikovsky International Competition.    I actually played in the orchestra with her on the Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto when she performed it at Eastern Kentucky University.     I also watched her play the same piece with the Lexington Philharmonic a year earlier and cried when she finished the cadenza.   It was beautiful.  

And just because it would cause him to giggle. 

Zach Brock - if you haven't heard him, you should.    Probably the premiere jazz violinist in the United States today.    I sat next to him in the CKYO.   He had pink hair and spent lots of time on a skateboard back then.    If you haven't heard much jazz violin playing, I highly recommend it.   

CD

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Johnny come lately, as it were, but here are two post hoc additions for the peanut gallery.

Tedi Papavrami

https://www.youtube.com/embed/TflDketr6mo

Manrico Padovani

https://www.youtube.com/embed/t-x-KkgW5JM

Thank you !!! Two players I never heard of and I should find the time to listen to them. This was a very good thread.

My teacher knew Robert Papavrami, Tedi's father and teacher; supposedly a very strict man. I think Tedi is an amazing violinist. He played here as a wee boy as well.

I tried posting this two days ago, right after the site upgrade, but, for whatever reason, I was banned, and the entirety of my content, including the threads, seems to be gone... I'm back now and, hopefully, Jeffrey will get the content back, too. :(

Yeah... Also, he was supposedly too nervous to perform to an audience himself. Robert, that is. My teacher sent him a student of his at some point, to some place abroad - Bordeaux, I think? Maybe not. There was more to the story, but I'm not sure I remember correctly; not sure if what I've written is actually accurate anyway.

Oh, I'd also written in my previous attempt at this post that Tedi has transcribed Scarlatti's piano sonatas for the violin and has published and recorded them.

2 hours ago, thirteenthsteph said:

Very sorry but I don't like it at all. EXCELLENT player, super competent but musically, to put it mildly, insufficient bordering on boring. Lacks both energy and ideas - he doesn't strike me as  musical. And either the recording was tweaked or that violin really doesn't work for him. Should get a decent one or have this one fixed. 

5 minutes ago, carl stross said:

Very sorry but I don't like it at all. EXCELLENT player, super competent but musically, to put it mildly, insufficient bordering on boring. Lacks both energy and ideas - he doesn't strike me as  musical. And either the recording was tweaked or that violin really doesn't work for him. Should get a decent one or have this one fixed. 

I neither agree nor disagree. I just think he is an excellent player, as you said. Other than that, I have not much of an opinion. I'd have to spend more time listening.

Regarding the recording, yes, it doesn't sound very good to me as well. I think he now plays a Strad? I also believe he has a Christian Bayon violin, but I don't know if it's this one.

2 minutes ago, thirteenthsteph said:

I neither agree nor disagree. I just think he is a very good player, as you said. Other than that, I have not much of an opinion. I'd have to spend more time listening.

Regarding the recording, yes, it doesn't sound very good to me as well. I think he now plays a Strad? I also believe he has a Christian Bayon violin, but I don't know if it's this one.

In this example there is a general lack of authority. And technically is GOOD but not GREAT. I was just listening to something else with him - same issues more or less. He's a very fine musician but violin playing is a bitch... The violin is really insufficient. I thought it's a Greiner for a few secs but it isn't - Greiners do get something right and I don't hear it in this one. 

4 minutes ago, carl stross said:

In this example there is a general lack of authority. And technically is GOOD but not GREAT. I was just listening to something else with him - same issues more or less. He's a very fine musician but violin playing is a bitch... The violin is really insufficient. I thought it's a Greiner for a few secs but it isn't - Greiners do get something right and I don't hear it in this one. 

I have a long way to go before I can hear what you hear... I'm very new to all this. :)