Maestronet Forums

Home made wood cutter-thought some might enjoy this

baroquecello

Hi All - I keep watching the used machinery ads for a 14" band saw - but between searches I'm tempted to build my own...

https://woodgears.ca/bandmill/index.html

If I'm honest with myself the main attraction would be the building of it. That a wood-frame is much stiffer than a cast-alloy one and that the wood also has superior damping properties are just bonuses.  There's a pile of 100mm wide x 1.5mm veneer strips in a corner of the shop that should make a superior laminated band saw main-frame.

However my Dad's frame-saw is still going strong so I probably won't get around to it.

cheers edi

Hi All - I keep watching the used machinery ads for a 14" band saw - but between searches I'm tempted to build my own...

If I'm honest with myself the main attraction would be the building of it. That a wood-frame is much stiffer than a cast-alloy one and that the wood also has superior damping properties are just bonuses.  There's a pile of 100mm wide x 1.5mm veneer strips in a corner of the shop that should make a superior laminated band saw main-frame.

However my Dad's frame-saw is still going strong so I probably won't get around to it.

cheers edi

Interesting, I was just looking at that one today. However, I have so much to make a this point in preparation for making my first violin, I decided to not do that now - it looks like a fun project though!

Frank

(At the moment I am concentrating on clamps, gouges, and planes...)

Edit: My 1/2" x 1/8" x 36" O1 steel bar came to day for my finger/thumb planes - I must have patience :)

cheers edi

ps - just added an improved wheel construction.

You are a mean person Edi :) It is so hard to resist, especially since almost all the DIY tools videos start with "Using your band saw cut out the..." and I am trying very hard to convince myself that I don't need a bandsaw, I want one, but don't need it. Everything that you can do on a band saw can be done other ways - just not as easy. And besides that, it looks like a lot of fun to make that!

grrrr....

It is for the iron(s), the body of the planes will be hard woods.

Hi Frank - may I suggest visiting the local steel merchant and asking him for a couple of broken machine hacksaw blades. They usually throw them into a box for the local knife makers.

Starret Red Stripe can't be beat. Hell to work but then never seems to need re-sharpening. It's almost impossible to draw it's temper so one can shape it on the high speed bench grinder with impunity.

post-98-0-76532900-1478267788_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-68844800-1478267752_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-62275800-1478267826_thumb.jpg

cheers edi

Hi Frank - may I suggest visiting the local steel merchant and asking him for a couple of broken machine hacksaw blades. They usually throw them into a box for the local knife makers.

Starret Red Stripe can't be beat. Hell to work but then never seems to need re-sharpening. It's almost impossible to draw it's temper so one can shape it on the high speed bench grinder with impunity.

attachicon.gifcellomaking - thumbplane 9.jpg

attachicon.gifcellomaking - thumbplane machining jig.jpg

attachicon.gifcellomaking- thumbplane blade.jpg

cheers edi

Thanks, I have picked up some hacksaw blades and some clock springs, and some band saw blades :)

I purchased the bar of O1 steel so I could compare all of those, the "advantage" of the steel is it is annealed and nice and soft so ready to work, then hardens nice and easy - or so "they" say. I will see. I also like that it is 1/8 inch (3.15mm) instead of only about 1/6 inch (1.6mm) like the hacksaw bales and others - I don't know yet, but that feels like it would be less likely to chatter or warp. But, I know nothing (as a famous Sargent used to say on TV) and will find out as I make a few planes. I am making a plane based on this procedure - so the iron is held in place with a wedge, this should make it easy to try different irons in the same plane - I hope - :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwyKe3iOb8Y