Sign in to follow this  
groovyshuffle

fingerboard edge

Depends on how you play, what strings you use. If you are an aggressive player or are set up with all gut (to include the plain gut E), it is probably just fine. If you are a fiddler set up with prims and have a light touch, you might consider it too much.

I think that it also depends upon where the scoop/relief is. If it is intentional(as in planed and set-up by someone who knows what they are doing), or just sort-of "there" as in needing attention from someone who knows what they are doing.

Hi 

The concavity on my e string side is >1mm (can't upload pics yet) and I'm wondering if this is excessive?

Thanks 

I am having a little difficulty with your question.  Are you asking about the concavity of the side of the fingerboard or of the top.  It seems to me the question you ask in your follow-up post has yet another focus, namely the distance on the top of the fingerboard from the edge to the e string.  Clarification?

Here are all the numbers, a ruler and this chart and you can find out everything you want to know. Look for the width of the nut, fingerboard width at neck foot and fingerboard width at lower end. Look for string spacing at nut and at bridge. If you measure all that and still don't know the answer then we don't understand your question.

http://www.alangoldblatt.com/specs/Violin.pdf

If its the actual side of the FB then any scoop is too much scoop. It should be a straight line.

It could be that the bridge is over to far to the treble side and not centered. Or it could be the fingerboard is not aligned correctly also.

If its the actual side of the FB then any scoop is too much scoop. It should be a straight line.

Nick, many (most?) of us put a little scoop on the sides of our fingerboards, rather than making them straight.

From my understanding the side scoop of ~1 mm is to compensate visually for the top scoop.   If there was no side scoop then the middle edge would look a bit thinner than the rest of the fingerboard edge.  I think it is an aesthetic feature to produce an even looking edge.

From my understanding the side scoop of ~1 mm is to compensate visually for the top scoop.   If there was no side scoop then the middle edge would look a bit thinner than the rest of the fingerboard edge.  I think it is an aesthetic feature to produce an even looking edge.

That makes total sense. I never thought of that, nor has anyone ever told me lol.

So does that make the neck scooped on the sides too? Or is it just scooped on the upper edge at the playing surface and then blended down to a straight edge at the neck?

So does that make the neck scooped on the sides too? Or is it just scooped on the upper edge at the playing surface and then blended down to a straight edge at the neck?

If you follow the visual approach, also the neck for the same reason.

I guess that looking at a violin head-on from close up, let's say arms length, the perspective distortion might cancel out the subtle scoop in the side. The fingerboard is a much more complex than a simple radius.

It also feels different to the players.