Maestronet Forums

Are there counterfeit Dominants at Amazon?

Trenchworker

Everything that can be faked, is faked - so I'm sure it is possible. I bought some dominants on ebay a while back, and the package was sendt from Hong Kong... Suspicious, yes, but everything checked out and they turned out to be the real deal (or at least a REALLY good fake, both string and package wise)

I guess a lot also has to do with profit margins. A dealer in HK that orders 10.000 sets from Thomastik would get a better deal than "bubbas violins" that order 20 sets. And with cheap labour, the HK dealer is happy with maybe only 1$ markup, while bubbas needs 15$ to break even... Amazon is also quite strict on counterfits, so I would think they are legit... (a bit more sceptical if you order on aliexpress)

I have a lot of faith in Amazon and if there are fakes I am certain that Amazon will instantly refund your cost if you get a fake set. The issue to me would be if you could tell that you got a fake. But, then I guess that brings up the more difficult question, if you can't tell they are fake, does it matter? From the point of view of wanting to support a company that makes a good product it would matter to me, for others it might not mean as much.

Frank

Frank, to me it DOES matter if an item is a fake, whether one can tell or not.  Taking advantage of someone elses hard-won name reputation is not part of our "social contract".  If you are correct that it doesn't matter, then why the effort to provenance a violin labled Stradivarius? 

Trenchworker,

I did say to me it would matter, from the point of view of supporting the company that makes a good product, so we agree.

I was trying to acknowledge that some people would not care - a sad but realistic evaluation of people today.

In a previous life I was a wedding photographer, and it was not uncommon for people to steal (copy) the photographs that I produced and copyrighted. They felt no remorse at the fact that they were stealing my hard work and cutting into my ability to make a living. So, yes, I completely agree with you, and do so from first hand experience.

Frank

Frank

Shar Music recently went on a counter-offensive on these counterfeit products, especially those marked as coming from Thomastik-Infeld. They had a massive sale on their products which discounted their popular sets like Dominant, Alphayue, and PI between 30%-50%. I ended up taking a chunk of my ensemble budget for my school and acquiring many sets of strings, which we were holding back on because of cost (and our refusal to buy cheap knockoffs).

Lets see. These should be fake, right? A set of tonica's for usd 7.90 on aliexpress.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/PIRASTRO-TONICA-violin-string-full-set/32679193305.html

The cheapest set on ebay and amazon are right below 30usd.
If I remember correctly I dont think tonicas are plastic wrapped like this, and the color windings are incorrect - I believe.... 

post-79507-0-40339000-1477124923_thumb.jpg

Lets see. These should be fake, right? A set of tonica's for usd 7.90 on aliexpress.https://www.aliexpress.com/item/PIRASTRO-TONICA-violin-string-full-set/32679193305.html

The cheapest set on ebay and amazon are right below 30usd.

If I remember correctly I dont think tonicas are plastic wrapped like this, and the color windings are incorrect - I believe....

my local B&M purveyor reminds me that "NEW FORMULA" Tonica (red slash on packet top left) has been on sale for over 7yrs...

At same meeting he also advises Pirastro distributor has told him next batch will be going up 15%.

Doesn't make it easy to stay loyal :(

• 6 months later...
On 10/25/2016 at 4:42 AM, Violadamore said:

Interesting product and interesting story.  To me, he's running his business wrong, as if it was a perfect world, and he's throwing away resources trying to make it a perfect world.  The problem in the article has been around since before China was riding bicycles.  If your product is worth anything, competition is going to infringe or circumvent or wear you down in court.   Best advice even back when everything was domestic for a small company with a new product was make your money and get out -- because if your product is any good then competition you can't whip is coming to put you out of business. It's nothing new.

On October 21, 2016 at 11:47 AM, gwie said:

Shar Music recently went on a counter-offensive on these counterfeit products, especially those marked as coming from Thomastik-Infeld. They had a massive sale on their products which discounted their popular sets like Dominant, Alphayue, and PI between 30%-50%. I ended up taking a chunk of my ensemble budget for my school and acquiring many sets of strings, which we were holding back on because of cost (and our refusal to buy cheap knockoffs).

Since all the dealers who have stuck to their implied agreement with the importers minimum advertised price policy got seriously screwed by this I can't really see this as a good thing.